Toon 1: Screen stays black

If your (rooted) Toon doesn't do what it's supposed to, post here. Dutch allowed / Posten in 't Nederlands toegestaan.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Toon 1: Screen stays black

Post by PowerAce »

Hi all,

I've a Toon v1 which is running at FW 5.2.11 for a few weeks now without any issues. A few days ago i noticed some strange behavior that wasn't there before. Normally when Toon has switched off the screen you can just hit it and Toon will wake up after a few seconds showing you the normal screen. In my case when i touch the screen Toon shows the normal screen but the screen immediately fades to black again and i can't see anything anymore. The funny thing is that after three minutes or so the screen switches to dim state like it should. Touching the screen again same behavior appears effectively locking me out, i can't see anything on the screen while it should be 'on'.

Has anybody seen this before? I'm not sure if this is a hardware or a software failure. And what can be a solution? I already power cycled the unit by taking it off its bracked and rebooting it but that didn't solve my problem.

Thanks in advance,

PowerAce
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Toon 1: Screen stays black

Post by TheHogNL »

Could be just out-of-memory and therefore slow in response.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Try removing some custom apps and see it that solves the issue....(to proof the out-of-memory theory)
member of the Toon Software Collective
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PowerAce »

Ok , thanks for the options.

It is not slow response i think otherwise i would get the normal screen back after a while right? This setup has been running for about a year without any issues, only the firmware was updated a few weeks ago and i disabled all memory consuming default options from Toon which i don't use. Coming weekend when i'm home again i will access Toon by SSH to see what is the memory usage at this moment and report back. Is there a possibility to safely remove installed apps without having access to the GUI?

Thanks.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

yes you can remove apps via the command prompt with the opkg remove command, examples:
opkg remove buienradar
opkg remove wastecollection
opkg remove newsreader

This gives the same result as removing the apps via de ToonStore.
member of the Toon Software Collective
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PowerAce »

Hi all,

Finally i found some time to play around with my Toon.

This was the memory consumption when i was first experiencing the problem:

Mem: 122800K used, 3396K free, 364K shrd, 0K buff, 10368K cached
CPU: 20.9% usr 10.4% sys 0.0% nic 68.1% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.3% sirq
Load average: 0.96 0.67 0.51 1/145 21853

After removing the apps buienradar and wastecollection there is more memory left over but apparently still not enough. The problem is still there after rebooting Toon. How much memory should i have for minimum to get the GUI visible on the screen?

Here is memory consumption after removing the two apps:

Mem: 114948K used, 11248K free, 212K shrd, 0K buff, 39988K cached
CPU: 9.4% usr 10.6% sys 0.0% nic 79.8% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 1.40 0.82 0.57 2/144 3817

The command opkg list-installed is showing me a lot of installed packages. A few of them are apparently packages for other languages would it hurt when i remove for example packages for german and french languages? Or is this not advisable? I can imagine these are only using a little disk space and no memory when you are not using that specific language.

Thanks again for the help and have a nice Kingsday ;-)
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

It's pointless to remove the language packages. They are locale-dependent and only used when you want to change the language of toon. Apart from a little disk space they do not need any other resources.
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PowerAce »

OK clear marcelr,

Thanks.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

That amount of memory free looks ok. Probably something else is happening to your toon
_Arjen_
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by _Arjen_ »

Just wondering, during boot, do you see the logo?
Or also a black screen?
If you see the logo, maybe the gui-package corrupt?
Don't know if that is possible though.
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PowerAce »

During rebooting everything works as it should, i can see the logo. Also the thermostat functionality works fine as well as the dimmed screen that kicks in after a few minutes. Even the apps that i removed today were working correctly, so waste logos were correctly shown on the dimmed screen. It is just as described before when i touch the screen in dimmed state the backlight is enabled i can see the normal GUI and straight away screen is dimmed until it is off.

Of course SSH access still works.

- Just found out that the touch screen is still responsive. When my screen is black of off and i touch the upper right corner where the brightness button is it goes directly into dimmed state. For me this is proof that all is working fine except for the screen. But it also proves that the hardware is okay. This is why i think it is a software issue, the question is how to get it fixed?
_Arjen_
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by _Arjen_ »

Maybe the brightness setting has been changed?
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

What kind of program does Toon ? If it is in sleep or gone, the screen indeed goes black.
PowerAce
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PowerAce »

Hi mAiden,

Well i manage to change the programs or even switch programs just in the split second when the screen fades away. It doesn't matter when i for example set manually the program to Comfort the screen stays black as well.

Now i got the idea to use VNC to get access to the GUI. Then at least i'm able to browse around in the menus and try which option is affecting the screen setting. Unfortunately i just discovered that can't access my Toon by VNC anymore since last firmware update. I noticed that x11vnc has been changed with the latest update but does that also mean i have to regenerate a new password and a new certificate?
mAiden

Post by mAiden »

Then the setting "Always to black" is probably switched on.
You could check this at Menu >> Settings >> Screen

Return to “Toon issues and support (Nederlands toegestaan)”