Power Safer for televisions

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I found this Power Safer http://www.powersafer.de on the net. This device automaticly turns off your Television completly, if you turn the television off with the remote control. Normaly if you switch your television off the television is in standby mode and still consuming energy. Depending on the type of television this is normally between 8 till 15 watt. The Power safer consumes only 0.3 watt. The television can be switched on again with the remote control. This device only works on televisions which consumes more then 460 watt, so the new LCD televisions won't work with this device!
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

I'm sorry, but it's a bit of a useless device: Modern Philips CRT TV sets consume less than 1 Watt in stand-by mode. Philips FlatTV set consume less than 2 Watt in stand-by mode. We (at Philips) go trough great efforts on reducing stand-by power consumption to a minimum, litterally investing man-years of work in it. If this device were the solution, it would be in any TV.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Yes I know but there are still biljons and biljons of people who don't have those tv's, and the lifetime of a televisionset is > then 10 years. So there is a market!
Henk

Post by Henk »

I assume it works on monitoring the powerconsumption of the TV if this value will drop dramtically it will decide that the TV was turned - off so it would switch off completely .... so it should work for LCD too .. strange to put the minimum limit on 480 Watt it is pretty high ...

I got another model but this was sensing the radiation of the CRT - if that was gone it would switch off..... no usage in case of an LCD screen.

Expert are selling them .......
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Henk,
That's why it won't work on most of the lcd television, because a LCD tv which consumes more then 460 watts?? I haven't seen one yet! Plasma I think wil mostly consume more then 460 watts
Pieter
villo01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by villo01 »

Great Item, right now am using x10 RECEPTACLE, that turn on and off tv, audio and video equipment this is control with x10 Slimline Wireless Wall Switch and the smarthome 8 buttons keypadlinc with status request, do you if the receptacle consume watt when not using?

Regds

Victor
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi
Am I right that your question is: do you know if the receptacle X10 consume watt (energy) when not using?
If so the answer is yes, but I think that it wil be less then 1 Watt. So almost the same as the above Power Safer. But you need a nice event to put off your x10 outlet 10 seconds after you turned of the the television with your remote! Otherwise you might forget [:)]
Pieter
villo01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by villo01 »

Thats right am using the Phillips TSU 3000 Remote Control and the x10 to ir, aditional to this the 8 button keypadlink has status request so the led under the button is light when on http://www.smarthome.com/12064w.html

Thanks

Victor
JdenHartog
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Power Safer for televisions

Post by JdenHartog »

Just bought this device (new from a second-hand website) and it works perfectly with my Sony TV (235W) and a TV receiver (12W). I got the "PS 3.m" version and the manual states its maximum load is 460W, so maybe this is the misunderstanding? 460 watt is the maximum not the minimum.

I added a photo of the manual to clarify. I have to admit I cannot find the "selection disc" but the device seems to calibrate when pushing the button on top of the device.
man4 - 1.jpg
man4 - 1.jpg (290.46 KiB) Viewed 15105 times

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”