Too late: Important! Upgrade to 5.49.16 ASAP for rooted and subscription Toons!

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Too late: Important! Upgrade to 5.49.16 ASAP for rooted and subscription Toons!

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

EDIT 15/4 13:45: the old VPN certificates on Toon 1 are now expired (per 15/4 11:48).

English

A friendly but urgent call to everyone. Eneco just released firmware version 5.49.16 which is a important upgrade to fix a VPN certificate issue. All subscription Toons (except for the *.100 versions at it seems now) are already auto-pushed the 5.49.16 firmare. Please check on your Toon that you will get this upgrade. For rooted toons this firmware is now also available from the TSC menu item ("Check for updates").

Without this update the Toon will not be able to connect to the Toon servers (VPN) anymore after this friday afternoon. Subscription Toons require the VPN for it to be able to be controlled over the internet. Rooted Toons only need the VPN to be able to upgrade to newer firmware later. If you don't care about future upgrade, you don't need the update now but be aware that you will probably never get a chance to get a new VPN certificate.

Nederlands

Urgente oproep aan alle Toon bezitters. Eneco heeft zojuist een nieuwe firmware versie 5.49.16 vrijgegeven. Deze versie werkt het VPN certificaat bij wat nodig is om in de toekomst nieuwe firmware versies op te halen en abonnementsfuncties te kunnen blijven gebruiken.
Zorg ervoor dat de Toon deze upgrade binnenkrijgt. Op gerootte Toons kan de firmware worden bijgewerkt via het TSC menu ("Check for Updates").

Zonder deze update kan de Toon na vrijdagmiddag niet meer verbinden met de Eneco servers via het VPN. De abonnementsfuncties op niet gerootte Toons zullen dan niet meer werken na een herstart. Gerootte Toons gebruiken het VPN alleen om nieuwe firmware op te halen. Als je niet bent geinteresseerd in nieuwe firmwares hoef je niet te upgraden maar dan kan je later ook niet meer automatisch nieuwere firmwares ophalen.

EDIT 12/4 20:23 : removed comments to run "sh update-rooted.sh -o , not needed anymore ( is now automatically covered by the TSC script in the background)"

Kind regards, Met vriendelijke groeten,

Toonz (namens het TSC team)
member of the Toon Software Collective
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Important! Upgrade to 5.49.16 ASAP for rooted and subscription Toons!

Post by RDNZL »

I have updated to 5.49.16 and ran below command, but it doesn't reboot automatically, do I need to reboot manually, or is something wrong?

Code: Select all

eneco-001-002xxx:~#  sh /root/update-rooted.sh -o
Only start VPN and then quit
Now starting the VPN tunnel and waiting for it to be alive and configured...
Tunnel is alive and configured.
>> configured opkg feeds:
src/gz base http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/uni/5.49.16
src/gz oe-2.6.36-R10-h28-cmpxchg64 http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angelica-1.6.0-master-psplash-curl/2.6.36-R10-h28-cmpxchg64
src/gz oe-2.6.36-base-r17-splash2 http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angelica-1.6.0-master-psplash-curl/2.6.36-base-r17-splash2
src/gz oe-all http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angelica-1.6.0-master-psplash-curl/all
src/gz oe-armv5e http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angelica-1.6.0-master-psplash-curl/armv5e
src/gz oe-quby2 http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/oe/angelica-1.6.0-master-psplash-curl/quby2
VPN is started, OPKG sources should now be available for you. Good luck!
If you are done with manual package downloading, just reboot and the VPN should be closed again.
#
Regards, Ron.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

an update regarding the command: sh update-rooted.sh -o below:

Toon 2

On the Toon 2 the command above will trigger getting the updated vpn keys and automatically reboot the Toon.
If you see *.bak files in the folder /mnt/mfr then the process was succesfull.

Toon 1

On Toon 1 the command above doesn't work immediately due to an entry in the hosts file.
You will have to remove the line with "api.qubi.io" in the hosts file /etc/hosts
Then run "sh update-rooted.sh -o" again.
The Toon will not restart but if you see *.bak files in the folder /etc/openvpn/vpn then the process was succesfull.

Hope this helps......

Stay tuned.....
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

TheHogNL has made an adjustment to the TSC script which will automatically open the VPN if the firmware version is 5.49.16 and the old certificates are still present (typically for folks who only upgraded the firmware but not yet refreshed the certificates).
All rooted Toons will get the new TSC script within 24 hours automatically.

Summarizing: just update to firmware to 5.49.16 before Friday afternoon. The new tsc script will then automatically retrieve the new certificates .

Kind regards (and thanks to TheHogNL),

Toonz
Reddwarf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Reddwarf »

Toon2 here
- installed latest quby version
- started /root/update-rooted.sh -o

No restart and no backup files in /mnt/mfs

Got an update error on my Toon2 and restarted the update after checking for updates from TSC menu, this time it did finish ok.
Now have new certficate and key files in /mnt/mfr and the backup files
Last edited by Reddwarf on Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

N.B. it seems that half of the Eneco VPN servers are using the old certificate and half of them the new certificate.
In case the command "sh update-rooted.sh -o" is finishing without setting up the VPN succesfully, it got assigned to a wrong server, simply retry ....
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

I'm doubting what to do. I didn't update my toon2 recently to keep the supply and return temperature measurements of my boiler available. Does not upgrading now mean I will be stuck on this version forever. Please advice.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

mogwai wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:08 pm I'm doubting what to do. I didn't update my toon2 recently to keep the supply and return temperature measurements of my boiler available. Does not upgrading now mean I will be stuck on this version forever. Please advice.
Not upgrading now means no official upgrades in the future anymore.

Two comments from my end:
- for quite some time the firmware updates didn't contain significant new functionality. So, how bad is it not to get future updates anymore? Up to you to decide.
- you maybe can manually update your toon in the future if you can get hold of the required upgrade packages somehow. That would require someone else to host the files which is likely illegal as the intellectual property of (parts of) the firmware is with Eneco.

KInd regardz,

Toonz
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

How about new unused Toons from Eneco them self? The came with 5.22.16 how can the update in future?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

I depends if the unused toon are already supplied with newer VPN certificates. If not, that could be an issue.
However the major issue tomorrow will be for the Toon1 with not-updated certifices (which 5.49.16 solves by requesting new certificates). Each toon1 from tomorrow afternoon with old certificates will never be able to connect to VPN anymore, therefore not be able to update to 5.49.16 and therefore not be able to update the certificates (unless physically accessed root console).

Toon2's will still have valid certificates but they choose to also update all Toon2 certificates. It is for now unclear what will happen with the still-valid but older toon2 certificates.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
mogwai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mogwai »

Toonz wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:10 am
mogwai wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:08 pm I'm doubting what to do. I didn't update my toon2 recently to keep the supply and return temperature measurements of my boiler available. Does not upgrading now mean I will be stuck on this version forever. Please advice.
Not upgrading now means no official upgrades in the future anymore.

Two comments from my end:
- for quite some time the firmware updates didn't contain significant new functionality. So, how bad is it not to get future updates anymore? Up to you to decide.
- you maybe can manually update your toon in the future if you can get hold of the required upgrade packages somehow. That would require someone else to host the files which is likely illegal as the intellectual property of (parts of) the firmware is with Eneco.

KInd regardz,

Toonz
I decided to go for a compromise. I upgraded to the latest firmware and then downgraded the thermostat package (as described elsewhere on this forum) to keep the temperature readings. So far so good....
FunFair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FunFair »

lol.... just read this post... guess I am never going to have to worry about updating my Toon 1anymore.
Forever stuck on version 5.49.7. Hope there won't ever be another WPA security bug in de future :shock:
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Now that the old certificates have expired we can start analyzing the behaviour of the VPN servers.
Who knows what the future will bring....
toonnoot

Post by toonnoot »

Lol i just read this 1 day late…
So now what..

Anything we can to somehow fix this for older toons?
They can’t just cut off toons from future updates right..

Is there a way we can manually update the firmware woth toonrecovery?
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

We are looking for (legal) solutions, just keep an eye on this topic for updates.....

Return to “Toon Rooting”