RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

All LEDs I've come across with get fairly warm/hot when being used at its rated power. If we talk about "High power leds", then it definitely needs heatsinks.

Whatever the LED, heat will degrade its lifetime - I've had leds die just after a couple of months because of improper heat dissipation (instead of lasting years as they're supposed to.)

Of course, if you get high power leds and then use it at just 40% of their power, then it should be a lot less critical.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Snelvuur »

http://hackaday.com/2009/06/17/addressa ... led-strip/

also pretty neat..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

Interesting... anyone has any idea on how the addressing is made?
The article didn't specify those details. (just curious about it.)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Alexander »

MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by niknik</i>
<br />Interesting... anyone has any idea on how the addressing is made?
The article didn't specify those details. (just curious about it.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">It you look carefully, you see that a whole cycle only displays saturated red, yello, green, cyan, blue and magenta.

It seems like they just rotated the colors along the strip: After X meters connect the red LED to the connection of the green LED, the green LED to the connection of the blue LED and the blue LED to the connection of the red LED. Do this every X meters and you will end up with this effect.
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

Don't think so; that wouldn't be very useful.
They say each LED is individually addressable - the cycling rainbow pattern is just the pattern they chose to show it off.

I'm guessing some I2C like serial protocol with some kind of addressing scheme... But that's what I'd like to know in detail. (Maybe it's just a matter of looking through their source code... but we never have enough time for everything we want to do! :)
Mversluis

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Mversluis »

Those strips are a often time on the market ,the called it digital flex strip. there most be a separete controller for this.
The controller will adress each light to a different parameter. The controller have about 80 standard programs.

Is there some one intrest in this product , i will found out some more techincal spec and prices. Give me a pm or something.

Best regards,
Marco
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by n/a</i>
<br />
But for this 5m,or 10m strip light, where it should be used?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Home, furniture, ceilings, you name it! :)
chinesegirl
Starting Member
Starting Member

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by chinesegirl »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Guys, whats your opinion about this RGB LED strip. I'm planning to have a RGB led strip In my hall all the way up to the attic and controlling it with home automation etc. Price is 114 euro.
Any alternatives

***Flexible, Slim line, Ease of installation, Very long life***

The full colour ribbon led strip series is a family of flexible, super high brightness LED strip lighting designed for use in interior applications.

Its small size, cool light output and modular design give it flexibility in installation into confined spaces such as pelmets, coffers and coves.

The 100 to 120 degrees wide angle beam ensures that the surface being illuminated is bright and even. The self adhesive backing tape (Brand: 3M) also lends itself for use in furniture, room and lighting/display design.

One meter of rgb led strip produces equivalent light output to a 35w halogen lamp. Using the appropriate led controller it is possible to adjust the brightness of the led without any flickering (not all led controllers are capable for led dimming).

http://www.hiline-lighting.com/pd-rgb-led-strip.cfm

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> USD5.7/m ,for nonwaterproof white color , USD7.3/m for waterproof IP68 white color
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

I've just ordered 5m for a new strip that has double the leds per meter (as I'm planning on using it as "lighting" instead of just decorative lighting.
I'll post photos when they arrive.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Snelvuur »

Also from hi-line?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

No, from one of my electronic suppliers here in Portugal. Expected price is about 90 eur for 5 meters (for this version with twice the led count and with a kind of "water-resistant" treatment.)
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

Ok, just got the leds yesterday.
Placed a lot of high-resolution photos in one of my blogs:
http://aminhaalegrecasinha.com/2009/07/ ... te-ii.html

It's a 12V LED strip, with 120 LEDs per meter.

It also has a flexible transparent "rubbery plastic" layer to protect the leds/pcb and make it moisture resistant (and easier to clean.)

(you can see it better in the full resolution photo on my blog)

The back is also 3M adhesive tape.

For the 5 meters it was using about 24 Watts (12V).

For my purpose (replacing fluorescent lighting) I was more than happy with this led strip - which has twice the LEDs of regular strips: 600 leds for 5 meters.

It also has easily "cut" marks at every 0.5 meters.

The only "bad" thing is that its price wasn't 90 euros as I was expecting - that was for the 300 led strip with half the brightness (which should still be more than adequate for many purposes.)

For this one, they tell me the public price is about 196 euros (+tax) for the 5 meter strip.
(I was able to get a better deal, using a larger quantity order, but even so... I can't consider it to be "cheap")

Now, I just hope this lasts for the rest of my life! :)
Mversluis

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Mversluis »

@Niknik,

On the moment there are a several versions. ( with 60 leds/meter )

1) normal
2) glue version ( this is the one the have )
3) silicon version ( this would be the one what will be total waterproof.)

We have also the glue version , only in the white pcb ( this will effect the light better ).
The warm white and white ( the one you have order ) , will be at normal price ( with-out wholesale pricing ) 17,85 incl VAT./meter

This one we are very often used in kitchen and bathrooms.

Will try to make some photo's and post it for you.

Best Regards,
Marco

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”