Denon 3808 av receiver with ethernet port

Forum about Domotica related gadget like Pocketpc, UMPC, Smartphones, Ipad Etc

Moderator: TANE

Jfn

Post by Jfn »

I only listen to music when I am sitting in front of the PC (PC --> external DAC --> headphone). Although I have a dedicated home-theater room (btw also with a Dynaudio 5.1 setup), I do not use it to listen to music. I use it once in a while to watch a movie (I would need to do major construction work to get the room-acoustics at an acceptable level for music listening).

I like the Denon 3808 from a geek-point-of-view though.

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />...Although I have a dedicated home-theater room (btw also with a Dynaudio 5.1 setup)...

...I like the Denon 3808 from a geek-point-of-view though....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
In that case you might be interested in the Infocus LP-790HB projector: It can be controlled over Ethernet too. You can simply open a TelNet session to it and you'll be presented at prompt at which you can type commands to have it do almost anythink (except your dishes). It takes a little digging to obtain the protocol, but I've got it if you need it. The ASK C300 and a number of other ODMs are identical, all presently EOL but I'm sure there are more recent models with the same feature because a whole maintenance application (ProjectorNet) has been setup around it.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Jfn

Post by Jfn »

I am more than satisfied with my Epson TW-700. It lacks ethernet, but gives a superb picture. I do not see the added value of an ethernet-connected projector. I would be more interested in a remote-controllable DVB-C cable-TV receiver (That is also supported by the cable-company). Having a web-enabled interface would allow me to remotely program recording events (As I used to do with a Dreambox 500).<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />...Although I have a dedicated home-theater room (btw also with a Dynaudio 5.1 setup)...

...I like the Denon 3808 from a geek-point-of-view though....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
In that case you might be interested in the Infocus LP-790HB projector: It can be controlled over Ethernet too. ...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chak</i>
<br />check this plug in.
http://bladeplugins.no-ip.org/BLDenon/default.asp
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
That's great! With the controlling problem solved, installing a couple of extra speaker wires is getting quite interesting...
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

you can still go for the ess, and use the denon to control the 2 zones from a ess. Since the ess is able to go up to 32 rooms for instance.. just a thought.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Btw, isn't this http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4029.asp with more zones then? i think the first number in the model is the number of zones it can allow. i think this is mostly 2/3/4 but not more.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

note that this amplifier is quite tall...

I only found out after I bought it, that it didn't fit in my existing furniture....

so, I found one of these :

http://www.spectral.eu/?top=moebel&sub=PANEL90&lang=de

maybe not everybody's taste, but I like it...

took a while to find a decent center speaker that fit...

I got girder to automatically 'synchronize' the tv (using an irtrans device) & amplifier

1) the amplifier is automatically muted, if a telephone call comes in.
(And the real amplifier mute state, is now sent to Netremote. So if I use the denon remote control to mute/unmute then this is correctly shown on the netremote device as well)

2) the amplifier is automatically powered off, if the room is unoccupied

3) if the amplifier is powered on or off, then the tv is automatically powered on or off as well.

4) if I switch the amplifier to 'tv' input -> the tv is automatically switched to '19:6'

5) if I switch the amplifier to 'pc' input -> the tv is automatically switched to 'justscan' (or 1:1)
(otherwise, the samsung has overscan and you don't see the full 1900x1080 pc image)

it doesn't matter if you perform these operations via the front panel button on the amplifier, netremote/http/telnet via ethernet or the denon infrared remote)
this makes everything so much more user friendly....
and reduces the number of buttons required on your control device (netremote/pronto etc.)
this would be impossible to do reliably with only infrared to control everything...

You often see that all infrared remote buttons are simply replicated on a control device. I think : the fewer buttons, the better...

(note, that I reconfigured the samsung tv to 'hotel mode', where you can force it to activate HDMI input at power up.)

Marcel
Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

still tinkering with upnp control points :

I found this tool that includes complete vb.net source code :

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/sc ... &lngWId=10

It uses the microsoft upnp.dll COM object....

Works fine with the denon and also with my HDX900 networked media tank....

in the picture,
* 'network audio' is the denon
* 'SMP8634' is the HDX900
* 'dev2 (media center)' is the upnp server built into j.river media center
* 'twonky' is a upnp server on my synology DS107+ NAS...

Marcel
Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

upnp user interface for the denon via netremote/girder is now working :

The upnp server is : twonkyvision 4.4.6 running on a synology DS107+ NAS (20.000 tracks)

(I'm also experimenting with the upnp server built into J River Media Center and the upnp renderer built into a syabas networked media tank clone (music+video on HDX900))

netremote is running on a sony vaio UX380 (1024x600)

also, all tracks played on the denon, are automatically sent ('scrobbled') to last.fm

playlist

tree

similar artists via last.fm

denon on tv

denon

Marcel

Return to “Gadgets Forum”