Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, TerrorSource, Toonz

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Postby TheHogNL » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Just as same as the other guy a few days ago (https://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic. ... 780#p92754) you forgot to read in the README "Then make sure the serial port on the Pi is enabled and the serial console is disabled using raspi_config and reboot if necessary. " This will enable the serial0 port
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RNdX » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 pm

TheHogNL wrote:Just as same as the other guy a few days ago (https://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic. ... 780#p92754) you forgot to read in the README "Then make sure the serial port on the Pi is enabled and the serial console is disabled using raspi_config and reboot if necessary. " This will enable the serial0 port

Im sorry, this setting is changed back to default when i did a new OS install. My bad.
Now script is telling: Please restart toon..
no magic
tried with reset and power on/off but nothing happend.

Solved: Placed uboot.bin file into rootToon folder. Installed OPenOCD again and used telnet session and now i have acces to U-boot.
Thanks for fast answer.
RNdX
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby M1XKEY » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi,

I have average success with rooting the Toon and therefore have some questions:

1. What do you guys really mean with 'rooted the Toon', having access to the /bin/sh after modifying bootloader args OR having fully root access over SSH?

I ask this because after leaving the password field empty in passwd for root I can't login with SSH; it says the password is incorrect. I tried some hash values as suggested in this forum, but what's interesting is that upon reboot the hash value changes to:

root:NO9Lh4WPU0:root:/root:/bin/sh

Does this mean that the hash value I entered isn't appropriate? I tried:
- 4fSaNO9Lh4WPU
- $1$1ajmZdpR$D/L7nG0lQD.u9LkTeQ0cE/

So I'm almost there, but the SSH connection doesn't work as I can't login.

Thanks in advance!
M1XKEY
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby TheHogNL » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:36 am

M1XKEY wrote:Hi,

I have average success with rooting the Toon and therefore have some questions:

1. What do you guys really mean with 'rooted the Toon', having access to the /bin/sh after modifying bootloader args OR having fully root access over SSH?

I ask this because after leaving the password field empty in passwd for root I can't login with SSH; it says the password is incorrect. I tried some hash values as suggested in this forum, but what's interesting is that upon reboot the hash value changes to:

root:NO9Lh4WPU0:root:/root:/bin/sh

Does this mean that the hash value I entered isn't appropriate? I tried:
- 4fSaNO9Lh4WPU
- $1$1ajmZdpR$D/L7nG0lQD.u9LkTeQ0cE/

So I'm almost there, but the SSH connection doesn't work as I can't login.

Thanks in advance!

You can also try FTR0zlZvsHEF2 which would be password 'toon'.
I could be that your toon was already rooted and someone created a script to replace the password on every boot back to that hash.

To have getty working you need to replace busybox but I don't recommend that. Just have ssh working and you are done.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby M1XKEY » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 am

You can also try FTR0zlZvsHEF2 which would be password 'toon'.
I could be that your toon was already rooted and someone created a script to replace the password on every boot back to that hash.

To have getty working you need to replace busybox but I don't recommend that. Just have ssh working and you are done.

Okay thanks, will try that when I am at home. getty did work, something went wrong with saving the getty line in the /etc/inittab file. I only installed dropbear myself and busybox was already there (version 1.27.2). So maybe it was indeed already rooted before. What kind of hash algorithm is used for that 'toon' password? And do you know where I can find such a script that could replace the password hash upon boot on the system? It's worth noting that I can't login with the getty serial console for the same reasons as with SSH.

Thanks! :D
M1XKEY
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby TheHogNL » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 pm

See my post https://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic. ... swd#p92570 for changing the password. Or use this website for it to create the DES crypt https://unix4lyfe.org/crypt/

Probably the root restore is somewhere in /etc/rc.local, a crontab file or a script in /root directory. You can also run
Code: Select all
grep -r NO9Lh4WPU0 /*
to look for a file containing that hash and hopefully it will show where it is restored.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Toon Rooting