ACV Kompakt HRE service

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Furman1234
Starting Member
Starting Member

ACV Kompakt HRE service

Post by Furman1234 »

Hello forum members. I am sorry if some words are incomprehensible due to the fact that I use the translator and I come from Polish.
I came across the opentherm project and I would like to ask if this project will work with ACV Hre 18 solo compacts. The board that supports this boiler is called intergas ic3. I mean basic data due to the fact that I am a service technician and will this project, by connecting it to the computer, show me, for example, burner power, modulation, temperature, generally what is happening inside the boiler?
hvxl

Re: ACV Kompakt HRE service

Post by hvxl »

Unfortunately my Polish doesn't go much beyond "stół z powyłamywanymi nogami". So you will have to keep using the translator. So far it was very well understandable.

The equipment matrix has an entry for an Intergas Kompakt Solo HRE boiler. This means that at least one user claiming to have such a boiler has been kind enough to upload a log file. If the boiler type you are interested in behaves the same as this boiler, you should be able to get some basic data.

Boiler water temperature is the most important parameter for a thermostat to control the boiler, so all boilers can be expected to report that. Boilers are also supposed to support messages related to the modulation level (MsgID 14 and 17). But according to the equipment matrix entry, the Intergas Kompakt Solo HRE violates the specification in that regard.

The Opentherm specification doesn't define a message for burner power, other than MsgID 15 (Maximum boiler capacity & Minimum modulation level). But boilers that don't even support the normal modulation messages are even more unlikely to support that message than the average boiler.

I suggest that you take a look at the Opentherm specification (search the forum if you haven't found it yet) to see if the information you are looking for can be reported via Opentherm at all. Of course that doesn't guarantee that the boiler supports those messages. Other than the first impression you can get from the equipment matrix, the only way to really find out is to try it.
Schelte
Furman1234
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Furman1234 »

do I understand correctly.
The ACV boiler has a 24V power strip to which I can connect the opentherm, i.e. it does not need to communicate between the boiler, the controller and the transformer computer?
Furman1234
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Furman1234 »

specifically I mean it. I would like to connect the opentherm board to the computer and to the boiler and I only care about reading messages from the boiler what is happening inside and here I have the following question. do I need a transformer if I don't want to use a room thermostat?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The OTGW does need to be powered, even when you don't connect a thermostat. I would suggest you get the USB version from the Nodo Shop. That one powers the OTGW from your laptop using the same cable that is used for communication. Just make sure you use a good quality, short USB cable.
Schelte
Furman1234
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Furman1234 »

unfortunately, I have already ordered a PCB from this website in the PCB factory https://otgw.tclcode.com/pcb.html. i.e. by connecting the board to the laptop with the serial port, it will power it and I will be able to read the parameters from the boiler and should everything work without additional power supply? because the board from the acv compact boiler (intergas IC3) there is a voltage of 24V on this line. does it bother you?
Furman1234
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Furman1234 »

that is, I just connect the OTGW to the opentherm port in the boiler to the X2 strip and the serial port to the computer and normally everything should be connected and I should download data without additional power from the transformer on the board.
I ordered this project in a PCB factory and it does not require any additional power supply?
https://otgw.tclcode.com/schematic.html#layout
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

That's quite an old design. It requires 24V DC, which comes from the transformer. If you have another source of 24V DC, it may be possible to use that. But do make sure it's DC. The 24V available from central heating boilers is usually AC. If you rectify and smooth that, you will get 34V, which is way too much. That's why the transformer included in the design is only rated 15V AC.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”