This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Tiller
Starting Member
Starting Member

Room setpoint override ignored

Post by Tiller »

Hello,
I'm new to OTGW and I just bought a board from Nodo with a WeMos D1 Mini and did the setup.
My boiler is an Atlantic Naia 2 Micro and my thermostat an Atlantic Navilink H55 (I published the capabilities on the website).

Everything monitoring wise seems to work perfectly fine, and I'm also able to set the outside temperature fine (or so it seems at least).

However, when I try to override the room setpoint of the thermostat, nothing happens. When TC=26 is sent, there are some "remote override room setpoint" packets being exchanged:

Code: Select all

19:32:43.543492  T00090000  Read-Data   Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 0.00
19:32:43.690013  A40091A00  Read-Ack    Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 26.00
19:32:44.079315  T00090000  Read-Data   Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 0.00
19:32:44.181769  A40091A00  Read-Ack    Remote override room setpoint (MsgID=9): 26.00
Then a "Remote override function" :

Code: Select all

19:32:46.226927  T80640000  Read-Data   Remote override function (MsgID=100): 00000000
19:32:46.372040  A40640101  Read-Ack    Remote override function (MsgID=100): 00000001
But then... not a lot. The new temperature is clearly not taken into account as the flame is not turned on, neither is the central heating.

Am I missing something, or is my thermostat just not compatible with such feature? Is there an alternative way of doing things, another command that could be useful? I thought of overriding the sensed room temperature, but it doesn't seem feasible.

Should I just remove my thermostat? I've seen using otgw without a thermostat is possible (but not recommended?) Should I buy a new thermostat?

You can find the full logs (I restarted both the gateway and the boiler) here :
https://stuff.stooit.com/d/1/63d17a49ce ... 0125-2.txt

I let the boiler settle down for 15/20min then set the TC. Did nothing, retried some more, but nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: oh also, but I'm not sure it's of any importance, I'm using this firmware: https://github.com/rvdbreemen/OTGW-firmware
hvxl

Re: Room setpoint override ignored

Post by hvxl »

That's annoying. The thermostat pretends that it supports a remote setpoint override by sending MsgID 9 and even repeating it a couple of times when the provided value changes. But then it doesn't actually change the room setpoint.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this thermostat. Maybe you need to enable the remote override function somewhere in a setup menu, or the thermostat may need to be in a special mode to accept the override. Unless someone more knowledgeable about this thermostat chimes in, I can only suggest to try different things.

The expected sequence of events is:
  1. The thermostat requests MsgID 9.
  2. The OTGW provides the value set with a TT or TC command.
  3. The thermostat changes the room setpoint as reported by MsgID 16.
For some reason step 3 is where it breaks apart with your thermostat.

You may want to keep an eye on a LED configured with function O. It will start blinking when you execute a TT or TC command. It lights up solid when step 3 completes. It goes off when the OTGW doesn't see the room setpoint changing within 3 occurrences of MsgID 16 after the override setpoint has been sent. There's no point waiting for anything to happen when the LED is off.

In the log I see that you seem to have executed an OH=0 command, while OH=1 is the default. I expect a better chance of success with OH=1. But I don't expect this to be the reason it doesn't work. The override should kick in, no matter what the value of MsgID 100 is.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”