Low-power PC

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Digit »

Enver,

I think the main difference is that i'm using the EE SFF version of the CPU, which is 35W TDP. And i specifically went for a AMD 690G Northbridge, which is low on power usage to. Graphics integrated, so no graphics card (it's a server...) And mind the PSU. Get a 80+ PSU. Saves you another 10W (in my case from 60 downto 49W); as consumption with regular PSU gets higher, i guess so will the reduction be when using a 80+)

Have read about the clock issues, but thanks for the tip.

Currently testing VMWare 2 beta on Windows 2008 beta BTW. Not completely satisfied with it...

Robert.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by TANE »

Robert,
you are correct...CPU is the biggest problem.
I will switch to the new intel Q9350 or the Q9450 when it's available.
Mainboard will be asus with onboard video

VMware beta is there for few months hope there will be RC available soon.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Low-power PC

Post by Bwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />Enver,

I think the main difference is that i'm using the EE SFF version of the CPU, which is 35W TDP. And i specifically went for a AMD 690G Northbridge, which is low on power usage to. Graphics integrated, so no graphics card (it's a server...) And mind the PSU. Get a 80+ PSU. Saves you another 10W (in my case from 60 downto 49W); as consumption with regular PSU gets higher, i guess so will the reduction be when using a 80+)

Have read about the clock issues, but thanks for the tip.

Currently testing VMWare 2 beta on Windows 2008 beta BTW. Not completely satisfied with it...

Robert.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Robert
Did you try the virtual server wich comes standard with Windows Server 2008. As you now we both get a free license of this operating system, I was planning to put this on use on my new Bwired server.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Snelvuur »

I'am thinking of having a xbmc installation on linux, for my movie center (tv) which can also do my home automation. Then with a Thecus N5200Pro for storage, and my normal "working" pc. I can kill my windows server then, i dont use it only for storage. I should really look into power consumption, i have 2x 20 inch widescreen as my main screens for my working pc. Which might be a bit overkill but i use it to work from home aswell which i really need 2 screens to do a lot of work at the same time. I should check out which uses more power consumption, a 30 inch, or 2x 20 inch (although i prefer 2 screens above 1)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Digit »

Nope...

From what i know, you can only try the Hyper-V with the x64 version. And this version refuses drivers that are not digitally signed.
So i switched back to the x86 version, where you can still install drivers that are not digitally signed if you really want to, as in "the old days" [:)]

Don't know which version we're gonna get in March, but i'm also planning on using that on my new server. That's why i'm "playing" with 2008 right now[8D]
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by TANE »

My Imac 20" is just using 65 watt p/h..:)
in standby 2 watt p/h
just install Vmware Fusion on it and you can run everything
Windows/Linux
3D games
DirectX 9.0
etc.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Snelvuur »

i dont like vmware, if my desktop crashes i want my home automation to continue. Single point of failure, to many bad history's ;)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Digit »

I'm not gonna use my server as a desktop [:D]
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Snelvuur »

Well my other server is in the datacenter, so that doesn't cost any electricty at home. If you only use your linux/windows you can also get some cheap hosting instead. (more bandwith, and cheaper, and backups?)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by TANE »

@snelvuur
How long will it take when you HA system crash.?
I can run my HA system in 5 min on one of the others systems...or my laptop.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Digit »

@Erik:
Don't be offended, but imo that's a wrong way of thinking. It consumes energy. To me it wouldn't matter where, "you" consume it so it has to be produced, right? Remember the story about kids, and their kids, and so on...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Low-power PC

Post by Bwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />Nope...

From what i know, you can only try the Hyper-V with the x64 version. And this version refuses drivers that are not digitally signed.
So i switched back to the x86 version, where you can still install drivers that are not digitally signed if you really want to, as in "the old days" [:)]

Don't know which version we're gonna get in March, but I'm also planning on using that on my new server. That's why I'm "playing" with 2008 right now[8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Then we have something to talk about in march! I think we get the standard server 2008. I'm using now standard server 2003 for Bwired webserver end also as desktop. My dual XEON SCSI is so fast, so no problem at all and working like a charm. With the new windows 2008 server there is no core (mother) operating system any more, in principal it's all virtual. Hope we don't get any problems with drivers etc. Lucky for me I have an exact copy of the Bwired server so I can experiment first and hopefully switch over smoothly [^]
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Digit »

For me it would be in 1 minute to get my HA back up again.
Once i have enough RFXCOM Ethernet-interfaces...
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Digit »

@Pieter:

I also think we're gonna get the Standard version.
And i'm also going to buy another set of HW. Mobo, CPU and test with it before i start with the "big move". Just couldn't stand the chance of going 99% and then concluding "ok, well, this won't work....now lets do a rollback" and lose a weekend on that.

I'm already wondering how to get 3 TB to a new platform in, lets say 4-5 years in a time span where i don't have to take a holiday[:)]
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Low-power PC

Post by Snelvuur »

@digit: no offence, but i think i still need to consume a bit more energy :) about restoring my HA, it takes some time for me thats why i prefer raid-1, and only copy most important stuff. I think i should shut down all adapters at night, i think that would save me a bundle too.

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”