This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

xvisor
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTGW not working after upgrade failed

Post by xvisor »

Hi,

Today i wanted to update my Gateway with 5.8 firmware. The last version I was running was version 5.3 and there were some fixes that it wanted. I have always been able to update trought otmonitor. But this time it was quite slow on programming and at 91% is stopped, there was 1 retry and 0 errors. But after a hour or so it was still on 91%. When i looked at the device the red, green and orange lights were on and the second green was rapidly blinking. So i logged in to my espeasy nodemcu and turning serial logging on which keeps showing me only a few letters like this:

547010 : Ser2N: S>: he
547027 : Ser2N: S>: «rm
547043 : Ser2N: S>: T
547056 : Ser2N: S>: h
547085 : Ser2N: S>: T
547087 : Ser2N: S>: h
547101 : Ser2N: S>: e«
547115 : Ser2N: S>: r
547130 : Ser2N: S>: T
547149 : Ser2N: S>: he«rm

Anyway to fix this? I don't have a pic programmer.

Peter
xvisor
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OTGW not working after upgrade failed

Post by xvisor »

Well I've got it fixed... After retrying the firmware upgrade more then 100 times with the reset manually method everytime trying to do the reset a little longer or quicker (shorting the jumper). I thought the PIC was broken but after searching long enough multiple topics said it should still be flashable if there are lights so after a while I kept trying even more to no avail, either way I ordered the pre-flashed 16F1847. But I was so anoyed I tried it even more and anoyed as I was I resetted like 10 times quickly after each other and then the lights didn't blink anymore and when I looked at the screen is was flashing the bootloader :twisted: after waiting 10 minutes it was finished. But still nothing, so another reset and there the green blinking light was back and my otgw running again... still don't understand and I am gonna replace the 16F88 anyway when it arrives. But for now it's working again.
hvxl

Re: OTGW not working after upgrade failed

Post by hvxl »

It shouldn't be that hard. I have purposely messed up a PIC a number of times to test the recover functionality. Every time it only took a single reset to get a new upgrade to complete. In fact, I'm surprised that you had success with multiple resets. I would expect that a repeated reset would interrupt the upgrade, rather than help it to start. Also, 10 minutes is a very long time for a firmware upgrade. It should only take 30 seconds or so.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”