Disabling services to free up memory

If your (rooted) Toon doesn't do what it's supposed to, post here. Dutch allowed / Posten in 't Nederlands toegestaan.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

Timeless

Disabling services to free up memory

Post by Timeless »

Hi,

Recently I noticed that my Toon (1) is restarting quite often and becomes sluggish, I have no idea for how long this is happening unfortunately.
I've had this Toon for multiple years and after its initial root and some intermediate updates I left it on 5.33.9 as this is the latest update that fully supports openterm sensors like the boiler temperature. This Boilerstatus app together with ToonStore are the only community apps I have installed.

Yesterday I found this post as I saw some processes like happ_smartplug and hdrv_hue using precious memory and as I'm not using any power plugs or hue devices so I disabled them by moving the 0bytes file to /qmf/etc/start.d/disabled and to remember myself that I've disabled them.

This together with running update_rooted v4.8 with -f helped to clear up some memory after a reboot, I do however wonder if I can disable more of these services as I only use my Toon as thermostat, p1 meter and opentherm sensor.

These are currently in the start.d folder:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jan 27  2020 happ_eventmgr	# something to do with events
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jul  6  2020 happ_pwrusage	# power usage graphs?
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jan 27  2020 happ_scsync	# service center sync?
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jun 25  2020 happ_thermstat	# most certainly the thermostat
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jan 27  2020 happ_usermsg	# notifications to the user?
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jun 10  2020 hcb_bxtproxy	# translate service calls from Eneco to your Toon
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jul  3  2020 hcb_config	# no idea?
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jun 25  2020 hcb_rrd		# probably the database for energy graphs
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jan 24  2020 hcb_watchdog	# probably a watchdog for mandatory processes
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Jun 25  2020 hdrv_p1		# most certainly used for P1 meter
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Apr  1  2020 hdrv_zwave	# probably used for the P1 meter
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Apr 26  2019 lighttpd		# webserver
I've put behind each file a comment from what I think these services are responsible for but as this is mainly a educated guess I would like to ask for advice before actually disabling more that I already did. Based on my assumptions I think I can disable hcb_bxtproxy and happ_scsync as my toon does not communicate with the service center but I would like to know if I can disable more.

My current memory usage after a reboot is:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        126196     116840       9356          0          0      41264
-/+ buffers/cache:      75576      50620
Swap:            0          0          0
And after I manually dropped caches with sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        126196     104024      22172          0          0      29956
-/+ buffers/cache:      74068      52128
Swap:            0          0          0
So long story sort, would anyone be so kind to give me advice which service can be safely disabled?
"The greatest good you can do for another, is not to share your own riches, but to reveal to him, his own."
- Benjamin Disraeli -
oepi-loepi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Disabling services to free up memory

Post by oepi-loepi »

You cannot disable the scsync since that is also used internally to read and message the scsettings to toon. The bxt is used for internal processes also. Even the apps for the rooted toons use the bxt commands sometimes.

There is a memory leak in the toon somewhere wichs eats a little memory in time. If you install the app autoReboot. The toon is fully rebooted 3 times per week in the middle of the night. This will empty the buffers and make the toon faster.

Return to “Toon issues and support (Nederlands toegestaan)”