Unforgivable! Plugwise stealing data !!!

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Noel

Post by Noel »

I'm also in need for some more plugs, and I have a friend who want's to get some also.
My friend and I will wait with the order till this problem is fixed!
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Today is the last day for 15% discount..
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Yep, so why wait.
I think Plugwise will fix the problem anyway.
And you can always block if you not agree.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

If your car has no windows, you wont buy the car just because they say there going to fix it. You want it fixed before you buy it. Even though the car itself runs fine.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

I'm on hold as well. It's not worth the 15% discount when it is not used at all.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I have no problems with that they can see my usage...if I don't want that I can block it on my firewall.
Since i have full control in Homeseer I'm replacing all my AM12 and some other modules.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

@Chak: You can block it on on your firewall but you lose the possibility to update your Source software and the firmware of the cirlces. Because in order to check for any updates you have the allow traffic to the portal and all queued statistics will be uploaded also.

Rene.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I have checked this and I can still update the source without any connection what so ever.
Just download at http://www.myplugwise.com
or directly http://www.plugwise.com/source/setup.exe for latest version.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

OK, this I did not know. I just ordered my second extension set.

Rene.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Update: Plugwise is busy on updating the site regarding the policy of downloading the data.
They are also thinking about different concepts, we will here about it in the first quarter of 2009.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I'll wait and see what those new concepts are before i decide to buy more Circles, cause i fear we'll hear about the concepts by the time they are implemented.

The question is very simple: can i rely on working with Plugwise in the future without having to take counter-measures for preventing usage data leaving my house without my permission?
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

That's the only thing i want to hear from plugwise, a simple "ok our mistake, at this url you are able to download a new version of the sofware with the posiblity to make a choice for sending the data" could not be that hard to program. This discussion started at december 10th. The fact that the only (non official) reaction is "Plugwise is busy on updating the site regarding the policy of downloading the data. They are also thinking about different concepts, we will here about it in the first quarter of 2009." does not give me a solid feeling.
It would be a shame if a good product went up in the drain because of poor damage control and/or management!

So hereby the call to plugwise, PLEASE GIVE AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM NOW. Silence will only make people make the choice to pull the plug because the have lost there trust in the company!
Woeka
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Woeka »

I was thinking of buying plugwise. However the way they are collecting data kept me from doing so until now.

Maybe informing others like College Bescherming Persoonsgegevens (http://www.cbpweb.nl/), Tros Radar or Rob Gongrijp about the data mining activities of plugwise inc. will force plugwise to take an official stand in the matter.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Please be aware this issue is sensitive and complex and we as a kind of advanced users should treat it this way. We are able to raise our questions in an early stage and likely will influence the development - so we are proving and experimenting the value/power of this bwired forum. (Pieter will smile now) So may be buying and testing more with the Plugwise products is a contribution to the general domotica development - we have to take our responsibility as early adopters ...

For example the section Plugwise in this forum has more information/hint/tips than the forum on the Plugwise website itself.

Please give this company Plugwise time and opportunity to react and deliver a usefull solution what will be ok for everybody. I'm sure their interest is to sell products and prove their concept not playing big brother.

Also the Government is may be involved too (likely as a sponsor in the development of this product) .... their target is to reduce the CO2 emission and part of their strategy is may be to collect online energy consumption data by a third party. They are pushing hard on the electronic utility metering and hoping to raise awareness among households to reduce the energy consumption. So we may focus not only on a single company like Plugwise but more on the role of our Government and be sure our privacy will be respected.

Henk
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I agree with Henk,

What about you Internet connection did you think about this.
They now what when how long you are on the net
also for your Phone, TV and lot of other things.
when we talk about sensitive information I will be more worried about other topics.

Return to “Plugwise Forum”