Domotica Project (Large)

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by ktruyens »

Hi there, maybe interesting to have a look to my domotica project site (nl).

http://domotica.computercity.be

Work is in prep stage but nonetheless shaping in usable state. Any comments, help and feedback highly appreciated.

*** UPDATED *** 03.JUNE.2007

I've extented the controllers with a self written pocketPC application which allows control of the system remotely (other than traditional web browser).

Image Image Image Image Image

It's still very basic, but already now I can see the camera's remotely, control the lights and appliances and check out climate info. I am now in my exam period, so not too much time, but surely more to follow in a couple of weeks!

*** UPDATED *** 01.MAY.2007

By now (may 2007), most of the stuff is implemented and installed. Obviously I'll share some of the hard work with all of you :)

Okay, serious progress made on my project. Check online to see implementation stuff etc.

I've also installed an in wall touchscreen and written the controller software. Many of the wireless sensors (if not all) are read using RFXCom received - which does it's job perfect if I may add!

Image Image

Here are some screenshots of the touchscreen controller software (and data logges, stored and updated using RFXCom wireless protocols). All information is updated real-time (as soon as the receiver gets information, he opens a TCP link with the touchscreen U/I to post the event; data logged in the SQL server database is displayed immediately).

RFXPower (electricity monitoring) information is available in the 'energy' selection

Climate (temperaturs, humidity, etc) information is available in the 'Climate' selection

Security information (camera's, door sensors, motion sensors, etc) is available in the 'Security' selection

X-10 and domotica controls are available in relevant room sections (example below is the kitchen).

*** UPDATED *** 21.MAY.2007

The audio distribution stuff is now complete. I've installed an M-Audio delta sound card in the domotica CCU (kitchen PC :)) which emulates up to 8 multiple sound cards in Windows. This card has a multi RCA output splitter (16 channels - or 8 stereo), which are used to feed possible multiple audio-zones.

The touchscreen software is also updated with the audio-zone functionalities as shown below.

After doing the audio work, I got the hang of media integration in the touchscreen U/I. I've spend some time on writing interfaces on some commercial websites and managed to grap the rich content straight for use in my touchscreen U/I. Using this technique, the design remains intact. I now have realtime weather charts (Belgium and Europe)

and even a video weather forecast on demand (automatically the last broadcasted on television (off course the video stream sound is mixed with whatever is playing in the audio-zone).

All software is written using Microsoft Visual studio 2005, thus .NET and works very stabile. The touchscreen software does not directly speak with the CM11e (X10) interface. I've written a separate server application which uses a TCP/IP connection between the touchscreen software and the server app to receive and execute commands. This basically leaves the touchscreen U/I software independant of protocols (other than TCP/IP) for future growth :)

Details on the hardware installation and (re)building are available on my site. The online monitor has been expanded quiet a lot too :)

Have fun!!
Kris
Lennart

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Lennart »

Hi Kris,

Just before the recent database crash, there were some postings in this topic concerning your project. One of these postings mentioned the nice looks of the Niko pure series (wall switches, wall power outlets, etc.). You responded with a posting about the (6-way?) wall switches with status leds.

I have a question about these: if you switch on a light or device by pc or remote, instead of by using the wall switch with status led, I assume the status led won't change and thus incorrectly reflects the light/device status. Am I right in this assumption? Did you solve this in some way?

Thanks!

Lennart
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by ktruyens »

The leds in my Niko switches are constantly on. They are 220V leds, and I think they're supposed to be on all the time. I have the leds directly connected to the power feed behind the switches. The Niko leds exist in Blue and Red. I use blue for lichtswitches and Red for e.g. shutters - nice effect.

Check my project on http://domotica.computercity.be
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Snelvuur »

Too bad that it does not reflecht the actual status of the device then, that would really be sweet. Beside that the rest of everything you done looks pretty sweet. Dont know if i will come close to something like that or bwired.nl but i'am starting.. ;-)
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by ktruyens »

Indeed! and euh ... I only started my project 5 months ago :) sometimes things may move very quickly!

re, the switches: Eventually (and ideally) I would like to remove all traditional switches and replace them by tiny touchscreens (no bigger than a traditional switch). I am currently looking (looking = no time to progress) at the possibility to divide a standard desktop screen into let's say 8 or 16 segments (x by y pixels). Each of these segments should then be transmitted (hopefully video over UTP) to the tiny screens/switches and controlled through a touchscreen controller. This way, I can compose/design my own switch layouts and everything could be integrated with functionality in the master controller (e.g. messaging, lights, motorics, audio, etc).

One can dream right?!

RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by RDNZL »

Hallo Kris,

Dat ziet er zeer goed uit!

Mag ik vragen welke merk/model hardware je gebruik voor het touchscreen en touchscreen-controller? Ik zou daar graag meer informatie over opzoeken.

Welk merk camera's (fisheye) gebruik je?

Dank alvast en succes met het voltooien van je project!

M.v.g.
Ron.
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by ktruyens »

Hey Ron,

The touchscreen is a TouchTronix model (check my site, Links section for more information on touchtronix). I have very good experience with that company! Super service, even overseas! The device has a power (EU type), USB (for the touchscreen controller) and a VGA video input. With me everything (USB and VGA) is running over Shielded Cat5 cables. The computer which controls the touchscreen is basically a Windows Media center device connected to a flatscreen in the kitchen (using HDMI) and the second output of the grfx card (geForce something) to the touchscreen in the living room.

For the camera's I use an (old) videomuxer which I still had around in a dusted cabinet. It's an incontrol Quadcam muxer which also connects through USB to the main computer. I use the cams which came with the quadcam thing (look a bit like a webcam).

The camera's can be easily replaced with almost anything since I have s-video cables between camera an videomux :)

Hope this answers your questions!

Kris

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Snelvuur »

Kris,

What kind of cables did you put in your house? Since i'am also getting a new house (its being build) i want to know what kind of wires i need. For instance you need utp cat5-e for gigabit as far as i know, and ofcourse a s-video cable? for the webcam locations? Also (but not always needed) phones lines, which can also be utp (voip)

In the meter cabinet, did you place a switch, where all cables come through, or just at another spot etc etc.. those kinds of things, since i have to take that into account as "meerwerk" in my house.

Merci
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by ktruyens »

I will have shortly a schematic avaible on cables and wiring in my house. This will include switching cabinets (as I have them) and electricity panels (I have two of them - one main and one specific for the kitchen as that one is 'very' automated). Hope you can wait a week or so okay.

I have updated the website just now. It now includes full details on the touchscreen UI (sort of user manual) and technical information on the user sensors.

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Digit »

Kris,

What you've achieved in only 5 months is very, very impressive!
I really think you've set a new 'standard' here, i've never seen anything like this before yet...especially the touchscreen, that's a real eye-catcher!
Now i know where my tax refunds will be spent on...[:D]

Regards,
Robert.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Bwired »

Hi Kris,
I fully agree with Robert, look really great!
Regards Pieter
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by ktruyens »

Thanks guys! for all the supportive and great comments. I hope you like the new pocketPC addition :)
Kris

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Snelvuur »

Why did you choose to combine THGR228N with rfxsensors, from what i can see they both give you humidity and degrees. Whats the need / differance between the 2?
And yes the pda version of your site is also very nice.
Korne
Starting Member
Starting Member

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Korne »

Hi,

Ik heb bedrijfsmatig goede ervaringen gehad met een leverancier van touchmonitoren, genaamd Dobit. Zij hebben touchmonitoren en inbouwbehuizingen met mogelijkheden om een KVM extender in de behuizing te plaatsen.

greetz
Korne
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Domotica Project (Large)

Post by Bwired »

Hi Kris,
A nice addition!
Is it a standalone application on your PDA or is it completely web based.
Did you make it with the visual studio 2005, can you elaborate on that?
I'm lucky because I get a new cell phone with windows mobile and HSDPA, HSDPA has a download of 1.5MB and a upload of 384KB. So I'm gonna extend my mobile website as well http://mobile.bwired.nl
Regards Pieter

Return to “Home Automation Projects”