controling a synchronous electric motor

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
dadimple
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dadimple »

Does anybody have experience with controlling the speed of a so called tube-fan (used in bathroom). Such a fan has a synchronous electric motor. I was wondering if a LW12 should do the job. Because it is a halogen dimmer it is cabable of handling inductive loads.

Thanks!
Stevexyz

Post by Stevexyz »

The LW12 cetainly can dim resistive <b>mains voltage</b> halogens. I'm not at all certain it will work with a low-voltage inductive transformer. It sits in series with the load (it doesn't require neutral) and needs a load of around 60W to 250W (otherwise it doesn't turn off properly). There is a different X10 unit for controlling motors (curtains for example) but it's very boring and can only do on/off/half-speed.

There's something called an X10 XPDI3 which seems to be rated 4A inductive, that might help.

Cheers, Steve
Paul Peterson
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Paul Peterson »

There is a minimum voltage you must supply to the motor to ensure it's starting from stop position (because of friction in the rotor bearings). In case of continued supply with lowered voltage, you can damage your motor.

Regards,
Paul

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dadimple</i>
<br />Does anybody have experience with controlling the speed of a so called tube-fan (used in bathroom). Such a fan has a synchronous electric motor. I was wondering if a LW12 should do the job. Because it is a halogen dimmer it is cabable of handling inductive loads.

Thanks!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”