50 ways to ... monitor your PC hardware

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Hi all,

I've done a little research lately on how to deal with monitoring my servers.
I'd like to gather information like CPU and MB temps, CPU usage, memory, page file, free disk space, network traffic, those kind of things.

I've been playing with a couple of things along the way.

1. WMI.
Very nice. But it seems to lack CPU temperature and it is limited to Windows OS.

2. SNMP.
Nice. I can even monitor my Linux machine with this. In combination with MRTG it becomes very nice, although i think this is somewhat overkill for my wishes. And at first sight, it looks more complex (=time consuming) than WMI.

3. MBM. (Motherboard Monitor, freeware)
Nice, i have written a plugin for getting the CPU temperature monitored, but it is much too limited in what you can monitor.

Now, before i continue my work on this, i'd like to know if i missed an option here.
Anybody out there who has already discovered the one-and-only solution ?

In that case, i'd really like to know what it is...

Regards,
Digit.
John Downe
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by John Downe »

Digit, I assume you have come across this - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Speedfan works well with a script on the HomeSeer forum - but I see you want non-Windows as well - maybe some hints if you follow the Speedfan links

John Downe
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />Hi all,

I've done a little research lately on how to deal with monitoring my servers.
I'd like to gather information like CPU and MB temps, CPU usage, memory, page file, free disk space, network traffic, those kind of things.

I've been playing with a couple of things along the way.

1. WMI.
Very nice. But it seems to lack CPU temperature and it is limited to Windows OS.

2. SNMP.
Nice. I can even monitor my Linux machine with this. In combination with MRTG it becomes very nice, although i think this is somewhat overkill for my wishes. And at first sight, it looks more complex (=time consuming) than WMI.

3. MBM. (Motherboard Monitor, freeware)
Nice, i have written a plugin for getting the CPU temperature monitored, but it is much too limited in what you can monitor.

Now, before i continue my work on this, i'd like to know if i missed an option here.
Anybody out there who has already discovered the one-and-only solution ?

In that case, i'd really like to know what it is...

Regards,
Digit.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This sounds like a job for cacti, great tool been using this for years now.
Rob_w
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Rob_w »

Hello,

An other option could be an external display. A 4*20 character lcd and software like jalcd or smartie can display much of the information you want to see. (processor temp cannot be guaranteed, it depends on your MoBo. I have a pretty up-to-date pc but cant get any temperatures or fan speeds.. [:(] ) The rest is displayed with no problems.

Greetings,
Rob.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Rob,

Thanks for the tip, but i was more thinking of putting all data in a database to be able to display it anywhere i want.

In the meantime, since the first post, i've made a little windows service that gathers some info and logs it to a database. Maybe i'll change to syslog so my Linux machine can take part in it in the future. Anyway, the service works ok, but is not actually finished yet. Other priorities... but when i feel like i wanna do something with this data, all i have to do is make a web page and display it.

Thanx,
Robert.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”