dark / light sensor MS13A

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Pieter,

How do you detect darkness / light?
I see you use a motion sensor, but i dont see how you can read that out of the device.

Erik
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Marmitek MS13E have the capability of signalling motion as well as detecting dark/light condition. e.g. A10 on/off is motion and A11 on/off is darkness yes or no. Alternatively you can program the MS13E only to signal motion when it is dark.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Although the Xanura documentation is not that clear about it, i assume the BSX1 that Pieter uses, is functionally equivalent to the MS13E motion sensors i use.
Actually it's 2 sensors in one. 1 sensor can occupie 2 X10 Addresses: 1 for motion detection, 1 for dark/light detection.
You can set 4 different modes for this type of sensor, namely all 4 combinations of either transmitting the sensor info or not.

Regards,
Robert
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

You have to set both adresses for that? I have one of those ms13e perhaps (well it looks similar, dont they all?) but it will automaticly choose a11 if i pick a10?
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

From the http://www.marmitek.com/en/manual/9053.pdf

On transition from light to dark an <on> command is transmitted for the unit-code that has been
set +1.
• On transition from dark to light an <off> command is transmitted for the unit-code that has been
set +1.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Strange thing is, i have it next to me on the chair. If i use a remote (rf) i can turn on my lights, if i move the motion sensor nothing happens. I dont see these commands comming in with homeseer either.

But it should be passed onto the net since my lights do turn on, a new issue today.. but then again this is with one of those tm13's if i use a rfxcom + homeseer all works fine.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Check carefully the mode it is in, it could be set only to transmit in darkness ....
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Guys,
Had some problems with notification in my mailbox when a new Forum is added. That's why I'm late on reaction.
Reading all the above I have no additional information and fully agree :-)
Regards Pieter
tazdevil
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tazdevil »

I also work with a MS13e, but I don't like his timing of darkness. I have placed him on several locations without result. What are some good sugestions on this?

Arjen...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

please elaborate what your problem exactly is with the MS13E
Pieter
tazdevil
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tazdevil »

I like to switch my lights with the MS13e, but when I place him inside my house the lights go on to early. But when I place him outside my house they go on to late. So it is already dark inside before the ligths go on.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Right, the dusk dawn sensor of the MS13 is not adjustable, but you can make a little tweak and replace a single resistor with a potentiometer so you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor.
You can also experiment a bit with the resistor type.
This MS13 Tweak I got long ago from laureanno.

Open the battery compartment and remove the two (2) AAA batteries. Remove the 4 screws on the back 4 corners and separate the top and bottom halves of the enclosure. Toward the center of the circuit board you will see 2 sensors. The motion sensor is the round "can-like" object in the middle of the circuit board with a square glass-like window. The Dusk/Dawn sensor (CDS1) is located just down and to the right of this (a glass bead with a squiggly line).

Now, to the far right of the CDS1 sensor, locate resistor R8 (68K) and carefully remove it from the circuit board. Obtain a mini 150K potentiometer and solder it in its place. (you might have to bend the potentiometer's leads a bit to make it fit).

The enclosure (top and bottom shells) will have to be customized (exacto-blade or Dremel) to allow for the potentiometer body and dial. Make sure that the potentiometer daily extends past the body of the enclosure such that you can easily adjust it with your finger.

Set the potentiometer to its middle position (roughly 75K) and test to be sure it is operating properly. If all works fine, reassemble and try fooling around with the adjustment to fit your need.

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.

Return to “Bwired Forum”