Ziggo Cable Internet 50MB down 5 up

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

2009-07-22 00:04:51 (11.0 MB/s) - `file100mb.bin' saved [104857600/104857600] 9.1 seconds

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

that's a slow hard disk snelvuur
Chiel

Post by Chiel »

Here at work we have KPN-business DSL, if you like to take naps while recieving your mail, this is the connection you want![:D]
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Could be your proxy in between that limits the speed, at our work its even more daft.. you first get 50bytes/sec (yes that slow) and then after say 30 minutes, it goes at 7mb/s.. as if it first downloads all locally and then sends it in 1 go.. (really bad with youtube, video most be loaded fully before it starts)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Chiel

Post by Chiel »

50Kb down 5KB up is closer to the truth [:(!]
eza
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eza »

Oops, missed the fact that this is an international forum, sorry.
In the rebound. I see that some of you also have a Fritz!Box behind the Docsis 3.0 modem from Ziggo. I have a 7270 and I'm unable te get DHCP to work. The Arris 702 is connected to the LAN1 port which can be switched to act as WAN input. This works great as long as I put my "fixed" IP address in the configuration page. DCHP will just not work. I've used grc.com to figure out my IP address and hostname. If I use this hostname I'm never getting a connection. Problem number two: every hour my connection drops for about 6 to 10 minutes. I still have a correct internal IP address but cannot get passed the modem. The Fritz!box shows no sign of a disconnect in the log. Internal lease time is 10 days. It maybe because of the fact that I'm using this fixed IP? As I understand this modem is configured as a bridge.. Does this mean that my fritz should get the IP address from the Ziggo server? Any help is appreciated.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

You can also just edit your post... :) i only have a draytek behind a adsl xs4all and ziggo cable line, works fine with dhcp too.

In my case, the draytek router is getting an ip from the ziggo. (the draytek is the dhcp client) so as far as i know, your fritz should get a dhcp ip (act as dhcp client) from you ziggo box.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Did you set it to Bridged or ?.....

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Pieter Knuvers
http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
eza
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eza »

I finally got the automatic IP through DHCP working. I have a new IP address now on the WAN, So far no loss of connection.
The only downside is the fact that I'm now forced to use the Ziggo DNS servers or set them locally on every PC.
Must figure out a way to make the Fritz!Box DHCP server provide these settings now.

@BWired: I don't exactly know what you mean. I read somewhere that the ziggo modem acts as a brigde, so you obtain the IP address from the Ziggo server instead of the local Ziggo cable modem.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I Guess you are right if the modem is set to bridge (standard) then it should work good.
I will find out soon, gonne replace one of my ADSL lines for Ziggo. I have the same setting then as Erik then on the Vigor Dual wan router.

http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Download is still 50 mb up is still 3 mb

DVD downloads takes less than 15 min (4,5GG)

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Enver
http://twitter.com/Chak64%20My%20Domoti ... dware.html<i> My Domotica Hardware Software</i></font id="size1">
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Enver, any News on the 3mb up?

mo046

Post by mo046 »

@eza:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Must figure out a way to make the Fritz!Box DHCP server provide these settings now.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
There is a tool at the german IP-Phone-Forum (http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=79513) to manually edit the configuration of the Fritz. So you can also edit which DNS server is to be used. Search the forum how to do this.
This is what I think should be changed (for cable modem on LAN1):
- below "saved_non_ata_ip_config" change "overwrite_DNS1" and "overwrite_DNS2" with the ip-addresses of the DNS servers of your choice
- add "NoChecks=yes" before the line "**** CFGFILE:ar7.cfg"

You can also assign fixed IP-addresses for the device whitin yor LAN by editing the appropriate entries in the file.

I recently found out of this method but had no time yet to test it myself. If you try it, could you please share your experiences here on the forum?

** Maurice **
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Also did some test:

It's FAST. The only problem: the connection drops every 8-10 hours.
To fix it I have to shutdown/no-shutdown the ethernet port that is connected to the Cable modem..

To get some information/traces you can browse to the Arris modem http://192.168.100.1/

;-)
DJ
Last edited by DJF3 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I have no problems with drops.
upload speeds is still limited to 3 mb

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Enver
http://twitter.com/Chak64%20My%20Domoti ... dware.html<i> My Domotica Hardware Software</i></font id="size1">

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”