DMX controlled moodlight panels

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi all,

For your entertainment, I just wanted to let you know that I'm making some progress on my latest home automation project: DMX controlled moodlight panels.

The setup consists of 4 Traxon moodlight panels (classic DMX version) that are on the wall of our master bedroom (see http://www.traxontechnologies.com/products/view/17 for more product details).

These moodlight panels are controlled using the DMX protocol, which has its roots in the field of professional lighting (stage lighting for theatres, concerts, etc.). It's a protocol you don't see that often in the context of home automation, which is a pity as it offers a nice way to control more modern lighting equipment, such as RGB led fixtures.

The DMX protocol is quite simple: every device occupies one or more channels in the range 0 to 511 (the so called DMX universe). Typically one channel for red, one for green and one for blue are used in case of an RGB lighting fixture but scanners exist that use channels for x-y-z axis positions as well. Usually the start channel (i.e. the address) is configurable for each DMX device. Devices are daisy chained and controlling the devices basically consists of sending frames of 512 bytes (with of course 8 bit value resolution) and a preceding start byte. It's a very basic one-way serial protocol (RS-485 based), without acknowledgments, error checking or error correction.

DMX uses it's own cabling and connectors (XLR, officially 5 pin), but the panels that I used have RJ45 connectors and can be connected using standard UTP cabling. Although the cabling is UTP, the protocol is still DMX, so connecting these cables to the home network will not work, although a DMX over TCP/IP protocol does exist nowadays, but equipment in that category is a lot more expensive.

Each moodlight panel consists of 4 subpanels that can be individually controlled. Each subpanel uses three channels (R, G and B). Each panel therefore needs 12 DMX channels. The whole setup thus takes up 48 DMX channels (1 through 48).

To be able to control the panels by computer, I am using the Enttec DMX usb pro controller (see http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... =dmxusbpro for more product details).

It behaves as a serial device and can thus be easily accessed through a virtual com port. Enttec uses its own (documented!) protocol between computer and usb DMX controller, but for sending DMX frames to the devices, it's very similar to the DMX protocol itself (just some differences is control bytes). The controller is "intelligent" in the sense that it has its own frame buffer and takes care of timing issues itself, as opposed to the less expensive open DMX usb controller (also produced by Enttec; the design of that device has been published under the GPL). The Enttec device works on both Linux and Win32 platforms (I'm using it on Win32).

To connect the panels to the controller I had to run a dedicated UTP cable from the panels to the computer and use the RJ45 to XLR cable that was provided with the panels, as well as an RJ45 coupler.

To control the panels, I wrote some software. For flexibility, I'm using a Perl program that continuously monitors (once per second) a MySQL database table for changes. In this table, I have stored a record that basically tells the Perl program whether the panels should be on or off, what lighting program it should run (single fixed colour, random colours, colour chases, fading, figures, etc., I currently have created about fifteen different ones) and what user parameters are provided (colours, timing, etc.). The Perl program translates the selected lighting program, together with the parameters, into one or more frames (taking timing of fades into account) that are sent out to the Enttec controller and relayed to the panels. The frames are repeated if required, such as in the case of colour chases and repeated fading. The power supplies of the panels are behind a Xanura SAX1 module, so the panels can also be really switched off if no lighting program is running.

The Perl program keeps on checking for changes in the MySQL record while a lighting program runs, so lighting programs can be changed or terminated almost instantly (there's no need "to sit them out"). The wish for this feature, together with the wish to control the panels through a webbased interface and the fact that potentially long running lighting programs and time limited - short running - webbased scripts don't match very well, made me opt for the database "passthrough" solution. Basically, the record in the MySQL tabel is a token that signals the Perl program what it should do and decouples the actual running of a lighting program from controlling it. The token could of course also be file based, but I'm using a home automation MySQL database anyway and it interfaces quite well with other systems.

The MySQL record (i.e. the token) can of course be updated from numerous sources to control the lighting: Homeseer (using a script), other home automation software, or any homebrew software. Currently, I'm using a basic homebrew PHP script with a form to select the lighting program and parameters, which updates the MySQL record accordingly. I'm planning on building a PHP based home automation site that is basically a front-end to Homeseer and this would integrate very well into this front-end. In case you didn't know: it's possible to control Homeseer through PHP using a COM object; one can get status information on all devices and set their properties. This is a comfortable solution if you want to have full PHP-based control over the front-end of your home automation system, but, just like me, don't want to spend too much time (yet) on writing com port drivers for devices such as RFXcom receivers/transmitters, Xanura CTX35 interface, etc. yourself if these are already available in a convenient package such as Homeseer. But that's a whole different topic ;-).

Here are some pictures of the result, which I hope you enjoy:

Now that the basic setup seems to work, I can concentrate on writing some other interesting lighting programs for the panels. Any ideas? :-)

Best wishes,

Lennart
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Lennart,

This looks great!
Can you tell some more about the panels.
Is it possible to dim the panels, if not do they give a lot of light?
What are the cost of these panels incl. controller, easy to order
Regards Pieter
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Looks cool indeed. Is this installed in a gallery, i notice the other painting on the back. I have no idea where i would use it for, but the wow-factor is better then vista.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Right! I would use it for decoration in the master bedroom, my bedroom has a large high wall where this would look great!
I see also a Visonic Next pir in the back :-)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Very cool indeed, can you tell us a little more about the cost of the hardware.
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi Pieter, snelvuur & willem4ever

To answer your questions:

- Each square has its own RGB values, so it is certainly possible to dim the panel. Just supply very low values for R, G, and/or B, depending on the colour that you'd like; it's all based on colour mixing. For example: if I set all squares to hex colourcode 330000 (low red, no green, no blue), it will show a very dim red and if I set all squares to hex colourcode 333333 (low red, low green and low blue), it will be a very dim white (kind of pale). At "full power" they are quite bright (15 Watt led power per panel), although it remains ambient mood lighting and can't replace primary lighting.

- The panels don't come cheap (but hey, it's a hobby ;-): approximately EUR 360,- each for the DMX version that I use. There are other versions available: one has RF-control and is about the same price (but for that to work on a home automation system, Bert needs to update the RFXCom transmitter to include the protocol ;-). Another less expensive one (EUR 270,-) is IR-controlled. That one could work too. Other ones are more expensive but have some other cool features, such as designed for outdoor use, mirrored surface, extra bright, up tot 8x8 squares instead of 2x2 (you could build a video wall with these...), etc. The most expensive version (8x8 squares for outdoor use) is well over EUR 2000,- (each)... Here's a picture of an 8x8 square version (unfortunately not mine :-):

- Positive side effect: this is a gadget that the Significant Other can relate to, which is an advantage budgetwise ;-).

- The Enttec DMX usb pro interface is about EUR 140,-. Note that the open DMX usb interface can be had for only EUR 60,- but that version lacks a built in microprocessor so all logic and timing has to be done in PC software and it's considered to be less stable. For convenience I suggest using the pro version.

- Note that the interface is a general DMX controller, so you could control all kind of fixtures and devices: moving head scanners (how about making a PTZ-camera using a cheap IP-cam and a cheap DMX moving head scanner? ;-), smoke generators, etc. I also ordered some DMX colour beamers (RGB led fixtures that can be used as wall washers to light out a white wall in a colour of choice) that I plan to connect to the DMX daisy chain running from the controller.

- As for availability: so called "DJ-shops" usually have these panels in their catalogue on their websites, but don't expect them to have them in stock. I had to wait a (short) while to have them delivered. Mine were ordered from Bax Light & Sound shop (http://www.bax-shop.nl). The Enttec controller can be ordered from Enttec directly, or from several webshops. I got mine from Rightthing.nl (http://shop.rightthing.nl). Ordering is easy, especially as all components are available from Dutch webshops.

- The panels are not installed in a gallery; it just happens to be my house :-). The panels are installed on a side wall of the master bedroom. The painting is in the hallway. And yes, you do see a Visonic pir in the back :-).

Hope this answers your questions. If you need to know anything else, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Lennart
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

many thanks for the detailed explanation. Positioning this as decoration or art could help me persuading my significant other :-)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Thanks!
This one is great to, a led beamer with DMX control to light up a wall.
http://shop.rightthing.nl/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=76
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

That's the DMX colour beamer I was talking about. I have a few of these lying around now (in the 4 pixel version which means that you can control the colour of 4 segments of each beamer individually - again, ordered from Bax Light& Sound shop, see http://www.bax-shop.nl/index.php?a=prod ... oduct=3567). My next project will be to add these to the DMX daisy chain to light out the white wall in the hallway that's out of view to the right of the painting. But I'll first have to construct some kind of container or box to hide the beamers from view, as my significant other doesn't mind this hobby as long as there are no cables in view. Don't ask how much effort I put into dry walling the power supply cables and the DMX cable of the moodlight panels into the wall... ;-)
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

By the way: if you would like to have a look at what's currently available in the field of DMX controlled led lighting, have a look at the offerings of Lagotronics: a Dutch company that started out as a drive-in discotheque in the seventies and is now a premium lighting supplier for television productions and musicals (it has ties with Endemol Entertainment).

Just browse through their catalogue (http://www.lagotronics.nl/pdf/led2007/led2007.pdf) and price list (http://www.lagotronics.nl/pdf/downloads/prices2007.pdf). Both are amazing...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Will do, thanks.
Is the led beamer powerful enough to light up a huge part of the wall?
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Nice! But a similar idea has been around for quite a while already: It's called 'PixelBox' and it too is equiped with a DMX interface. I don't see any applications at home for DMX512, but I think it's a smart choice from a professional point of view.

The Philips LivingColors lights are a bit of a disappointment: They don't cooporate with their own TV's AmbiLight, probably the first question people ask before buying them.

Is there any any way to make these light panels assume the same color as my TV's AmbiLight? AmbiLights are three combined CCFL tubes, each controlled by their own inverter. The inverters take an I2C signal for an input.
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi Pieter,

To answer the question about the led beamer being powerful enough: as usual, it depends.

The beam itself is quite powerful (8 Watt led power). If you place the beamer about 10 to 15 cm. in front of the wall on the floor, pointing towards the ceiling, you will get a nice bright homogeneous lighting effect on the wall, almost without noticable vertical hot spot.

However, the beamer is highly directional (low dispersion angle). That means that it only lights that part of the wall in front of which it is placed, and you do get a horizontal hot spot. So, if you want to homogeneously light a whole wall, you need several beamers.

To give you an idea: the wall that I want to light is approximately 180 cm. wide. I first ordered one beamer to play around with and to see what it did. After experimenting I concluded that I needed a total of 5 interconnected beamers (length: 33,3 cm. each for a total length of 167 cm.) to get the desired effect.

The effect can also be seen on the Traxon supplied image: there are several interconnected beamers, equal in length to the wall that they wanted to light. I count no less than 20 to 25 beamers in this case, for a 7 to 8 meter wide wall... You can also see what happens if you use only a single or too little beamers: look at the sides of the lighted area: brightness falls off quickly.

Note that the 4 pixel version doesn't add that much if compared to the 1 pixel version for this kind of application, as the colours quickly mix on the wall anyway. However, the price is almost the same (only EUR 5,- price difference), so you might as well get the 4 pixel version.

Another option is a real wall washer, such as the Traxon colour wash (http://www.traxontechnologies.com/products/view/15 and http://www.traxontechnologies.com/products/view/41 (extra bright)), or the Lagotronics Decaled colour wash that is in their catalogue on page 95. These use a higher number of powerful leds in a compact package to light a whole wall at once.

However, these products cost at least EUR 1000,- (which will also buy you 4 or 5 colour beamers) and need to be installed at a greater distance from the wall that you want to light (beam angle is about 30 degrees). That's the main reason why I opted for the colour beamers instead.
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi MindBender,

Sure, products like these have been around a while as has the DMX protocol (more than 20 years to be precise), but it is still fun playing around with it. :-)

As for your remark of not seeing any application for DMX at home, I am wondering what alternatives you would suggest to control led fixtures at home. As you concluded yourself: stand-alone Philips living colour fixtures with a remote control are not the way to go. Now, a DMX contolled version would be nice, together with a DMX out port on your ambilight TV setup. ;-)

Hmmm, which makes me wonder... The living colour fixtures are RF-controlled. I barely dare to ask, but would this work on the 433 MHz frequency? And if so, would it be possible for Bert to have a look at it for the RFXCom transmitter? (hint, hint).

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Just ask bert nicely, he can always have a look i would gues. Still all these things are nice gadgets, but can someone tell me what you can use it for in your own home (besides that it looks nice?) i have my ambilight television but if you put it on dynamic (change fast with movie) you get kinda fuzy because the whole wall changes from blue to red to green etc etc.. depending on the movie.

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”