Useful info for newbie's

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
William.abbo

Useful info for newbie's

Post by William.abbo »

Currently I'am setting up a Z-Wave network in our new house with a few ACT-HomePro components and I was searching info about the advanced settings regarding these modules, which where not all documented on de ACT-site. I send a email to ACT-Solutions on which they respond within one hour inclusive the missing info, which helped me a lot, this was 2 days ago.
Today I received another email from Phil Kingery with some additional info which may be helpful for others to, especialy for those who are starting with Z-Wave.

<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">
<u>This information is used with permission by Phil Kingery, Advanced Control Technologies, Inc. Indianapolis, IN, USA.</u>
<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">

<i>William,

Recently I sent you some information on advanced features in the ZDM230. In reviewing my email, I see that I neglected to answer one of your other questions, ZDM230 and ZTM230: do they act as a repeater? Yes they do. Every Z-Wave device that is powered from mains power (230v, not batteries), will repeat when the signal is routed to them.

Allow me to give you some background technical information on how a typical Z-wave system works.

In my opinion, all installers/customers should have the ZTH200 controller to set up the system. Unknown to the users (and most installers) is that as each node is added, it is asked by the controller (ZTH200) if it can communicate to every other node previously installed in the network. That is why it takes a little longer when adding the 60th node, than the 1st, or the 10th or the 20th. By the time the 60th node is added, the controller says, "Welcome to my family, here is your network home ID, and you node ID, and please try to contact units number 1 through 59 and report back to me which ones you can talk to". That way, the ZTH200 will have the information to build its routing table. It will then know "which nodes can talk to which nodes".

Just to give you some insight to the "mesh network" capabilities, here is the basic Z-Wave system setup:
1. The integrator installs all the receivers in their proper locations (that means to physically install them and wire them to power).
2. The integrator then "includes" the first one using the ZTH200. (See the ZTH200 instructions.) The ZTH200 will "include" (or "add") the first unit into its network, by giving the receiver its network ID (often called the "HomeID"), then its unit ID. This is done at low power for security reasons. (You would not want your unit to be accidentally included into your neighbor's network.) This also means that the ZTH200 controller and the unit being added to the network will need to be very close to each other (about a foot or less). The actual "addressing" is done automatically and is transparent to the integrator/installer/customer.
3. Occasionally, a node (receiver, transmitter, other peripheral device) will not "include" and it appears to be dead. This may not really be the case. Sometimes when the factory testing is done, the unit is not properly "reset". Therefore it "thinks" that it is already a part of another network. Under this scenario, it will not let itself be included into "your" network. (It thinks that it is in your neighbor's house.) If you cannot "include" a unit, try to do a "reset unit" (see the ZTH200 instructions on "Reset Unit", and remember this is NOT the same as "Reset Remote Ctrl"). If it resets correctly, then go back to step #2.
4. Then the integrator includes (adds) the second one. The ZTH200 will include the second unit into its network, by giving the receiver its network ID, then unit ID. Then it will secretly ask the second unit to see if it can communicate to the first unit. If it can, the ZTH200 will use that information to build its routing table.
5. Then the integrator includes (adds) the next unit. The ZTH200 will give that unit its network ID, and assign its unit ID. Then it will secretly ask that unit to check if it can communicate to the other units already in the network. If it can, the ZTH200 will use that information to continue to build its routing table.
6. Repeat step 5 until all of the receivers, transmitter, peripheral devices, etc. have been "included".
7. The ZTH200 now has a list of all the nodes, PLUS it has a routing table knowing which units can talk to other units and therefore can be used in routing packets around RF dead spots or units which are beyond its direct range.
8. If the installer is also setting up a computer interface unit (or a different secondary controller, like our ZCU201 computer interface unit), he can now "copy" all the network information from the ZTH200, over to the secondary unit using the "Copy Remote Ctrl" function. ("Send" from the ZTH200, "Receive" into the secondary unit.) 9. Now the secondary unit will also have all the nodes, plus the routing table.

I know of at least one customer who did his network configuration by plugging in one device (a dimmer or relay unit) into a plug strip on his desk, added it to the network, then unplugged it and plugged in the next one -- added that one, then unplugged it and plugged in the next one -- added that one, etc. Then he walked around his house plugging in the receivers. Unfortunately, when he did that, every unit thought it was out of range from every other unit. None of them would re-route (or, repeat packet transfer) signals to other nodes. Plus, as I said before, only hard-wired devices can be used to re-route data transmissions.

In most homes, the transmitting node (usually the ZTH200) successfully reaches its intended recipients, directly (no "hops"). However, if needed, the transmitter will re-route its commands by embedding it into another packet which is sent to a nearby node instructing that node to re-send the packet to the intended node.

The highest number of possible "hops" is 4: ZTH200 --> Receiver1 --> Receiver2 --> Receiver3 --> Receiver4. However, you would not be able to actually see how the signal is being sent without special equipment. I think you will find that as you increase the number of nodes, the reliability will increase. You cannot rely simply on "line-of-sight" distance. Radio waves are funny things; they reflect and refract off of other objects so that sometimes signals are repeated through distant nodes to get to nodes that are physically closer.

Just to give you additional insight into the complex method of routing, here is more detailed information. Routing is done in the layer below anything controlled by us. It is all handled by the Zensys IC chip and their firmware. But this is basically how it works:
1. The controller will try to send its command directly to the intended node,
2. If it fails to get an acknowledgement, it will try 2 more times (this only takes a few milliseconds),
3. If it stills fails to get an acknowledgement, it will try a simple 1-hop routed transmission,
4. If it fails to get an acknowledgement, it will try 2 more times,
5. If it stills fails to get an acknowledgement, it will try a different 1-hop routed transmission (3 times),
6. If it stills fails to get an acknowledgement, it will continue to try all other 1-hop routed transmission paths (3 times each),
7. If it stills fails to get an acknowledgement, it will try a 2-hop routed transmission (3 times),
8. If it stills fails to get an acknowledgement, it will continue to try all other 2-hop routed transmission paths (3 times each), .... this goes on until it has tried all possible routes.

I hope this has given you enough information.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank You,
Phil K.
Phillip E. Kingery, http://www.act-solutions.com
Domestic & Export plus OEM Sales & Support, for:
- ControlLED Tube Lighting (LED)
- Powerline Control Components (PCC)
- Radio Frequency (RF) Z-Wave
Advanced Control Technologies, Inc. Indianapolis, IN 46278
<hr noshade size="1"></i>
EzHome

Useful info for newbie's

Post by EzHome »

The above mentioned ZTH200 has to be used in HomeSeer in if you use the following ACT Z-Wave interfaces:

ZCS010
ZCS201
ZCU010

If you use the Aeon-Labs Z-Stick, ControlThink Z-Wave USB Adapter, TrickleStar Z-Wave USB Stick there is no need to use the ZTH200 for setting up your network.

These devices setup your z-wave network and tells your node what id# and what routering slaves to be used. These devices support SUC/SIS.

Static Update Controller (SUC):
A controller that must never be moved in normal operation which can be used by other nodes to receive information about network changes.

Static Update Controller ID Server (SIS):
If part of a Z-Wave system, a SIS is the primary controller. A SIS is a static update controller that can also allow other controllers in the system to add and remove nodes on its behalf. These other controllers are inclusion controllers. In order for a controller to become an inclusion controller it must be built with library version 1.53 or later. If a controller is not built on library 1.53 or later, the SIS will allow it to become a secondary controller.

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”