Anti-wi-fi paint offers security

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Source and full story: http://News.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8279549.stm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">DIGITAL PLANET
By Dave Lee
BBC World Service

With a quick lick of paint, your wi-fi connection could be secured
Researchers say they have created a special kind of paint which can block out wireless signals.

It means security-conscious wireless users could block their neighbours from being able to access their home network - without having to set up encryption.

The paint contains an aluminium-iron oxide which resonates at the same frequency as wi-fi - or other radio waves - meaning the airborne data is absorbed and blocked.

By coating an entire room, signals can't get in and, crucially, can't get out.

Developed at the University of Tokyo, the paint could cost as little as GBP 10 per kilogram, researchers say.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
j.hoekstra

Post by j.hoekstra »

Nice idea, for another reason: it blocks the signal itself. For some people who are allergic to high-frequent signals this might be a solution to make a shielded room with little interference.
As far as I can tell it's pretty much only usefull for rooms with 4 solid walls without windows....
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Dat lijkt aardig op het spul wat ze op duikboten smeren. Ik lag er eens naast met mijn radioagrafische duikcomputer en die kon niet eens meer naar met mijn luchtfles communiceren. Op een meter afstand was het alweer OK. Werkt dus goed :-)
arccch
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by arccch »

hmmm i am always sceptic about those things.

In my opinion they are trying to sell you a "save" feeling. just like they are saying you cant see our planes because they are stealth. Then get back to basics i throw alot of metal in the air and the radar cant pick it up. yeh right it might be harder but not impossible. i think its the same with this product but then again who am i

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”