MS16a modification not working?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

via this topic http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?T ... Terms=MS13 i followed the modification guideline but sensor seems not to transmit. Red and green light responds as expected.
I modified 2 modules both with same result (used a 15W solder and soldered quickly)
1 module i removed all components ans placed transmitter connected to top C9, left L1 and left R3
1 module i only removed L1 and R3 and got gnd and vcc direct from battery
I checked with RFreceiver for incomig signal but nothing is visible, i do see the temp sensor's and a kaku remote when i press a button.
Anyone any idea's?
esschenk

Post by esschenk »

Hello,

Have you checkt the device before modification!
Are you using a transmitter with a voltage from 1 to 3Volt
Check the voltage on the transmitter with a multimeter
Dont forget the ground

Let me know if you need any assistent

Ed
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

I did check the module before but i'm not able to detect 310MHz but the modules (2) responded conform install guide. Can not really believe that both module where defect to start with :) And i get the impression that the module is ok but the transmitter part isn't.
i ordered the QAM-TX1-433 (spec 1,5-5V) but on the module there is not really a type id. On the crystal is stated JDR433A (on the data sheet it says R433M) and in the center of the module is a blue circle sticker that says A434.
On the second module i picked the power and ground directly from the battery lead and measured 3V. Oeps does the gnd of the module be connected to a place on the copper side of the board or should the - pole be sufficient? But then the first module was wired like yo're guide showed (top C9, left L1 and left R3)
Just to make sure, if the transmitter did his job right then i should have seen something like a A01 on/off with the RFXCom receiver program?
Thanks,

edwin
esschenk

Post by esschenk »

Hello,

The transmitters seems to be ok
You can take the power from the batt thats no problem
You can check the module by starting the rfxcom RFreciever test software.
http://www.rfxcom.com/documents/RFreceiver.zip
Then you can see if ther is any output.
If that is working then check the X10 tab in the RFXcom plugin
if you using A1 with the sensor make sure that the A tab is selected

Ed
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

that's exactly the problem. I did all those steps including taking power directly from battery, also checked VCC on module and then checked with RFReceiver but no luck. The only thing that's coming in are a few OS sensor and a weght scale from the neighbors :)
I did not try to receive with the RFXComm plugin and unfortunaly i screwed up the entire installation last night :( Well on the to do list stood installation of the pro version so now i will do that from scratch including the silex drivers (that's where it went wrong last night)
esschenk

Post by esschenk »

Hello,

Strange.

There are several people that have make this modification without any problems
If you dont see anything with the test software then the Homeseer plugin is not working either
When you press the button on the sensor, is the led from the RFXcom receiver flashing!!!
You can measure the connection from pin-2 of Pic controller too the data input off the transmitter.
If that is al solid then I dont know what is wrong.
If you like you can sent 1 of your sensor to me then I can have I look whats wrong with it.

Ed
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

GOT IT!
As expected it was simple. I could not believe that two mod's would fail. After clicking on the "enable ALL RF" in the RFReceiver interface i now see A1-on.
I'm not sure if this is a setting in the RFXCom or only in the receiver program so perhaps i have to selectively disable the protocols i don't use.
Thanks for all support
esschenk

Post by esschenk »

Hello,

Ok nice to hear that everething is working
you must select also the x10 housecode in the rfxcom plugin

Ed
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

I know. I found that part out while trying to get kaku working :)
btw i found also that GND in my version of the MS16a was located on the bottom instead of the top of C9. So the end that is closest to the edge of the circuit board. The point where C(, C10 and R2 comes together on the copper side of the board.

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”