Siemens Gigaset S450 IP Phone

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

I bought a C450IP Siemens with 2 DECT handsets a half year ago.
Which is the cheaper looking brother of the S450IP

DECT coverage/quality was very bad, the buildin webserver doesn't add any functionality, you could set SIP account, and see which firmware you had, handy things like an phonebook or logging is nowhere to be found.

Firmware release updates? You can count them on 2 fingers..

So if the main unit and firmware of the S450 and the C450 are the same (and there is a fair chance) don't buy it.

I have the set somewhere in a box now, I added asterisk and a digium card to my server instead, thats much more fun to setup and you have all the features you can think of.

Regards,
Ron.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RDNZL</i>
<br />I bought a C450IP Siemens with 2 DECT handsets a half year ago.
Which is the cheaper looking brother of the S450IP

DECT coverage/quality was very bad, the buildin webserver doesn't add any functionality, you could set SIP account, and see which firmware you had, handy things like an phonebook or logging is nowhere to be found.

Firmware release updates? You can count them on 2 fingers..

So if the main unit and firmware of the S450 and the C450 are the same (and there is a fair chance) don't buy it.

I have the set somewhere in a box now, I added asterisk and a digium card to my server instead, thats much more fun to setup and you have all the features you can think of.

Regards,
Ron.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hi Ron,

Why don't you upgrade and let us know if the functionality has improved. Sofar this is the first wireless SIP phone that actually works for me. I have a nokia E61, but i gave up on that one. I agree their is still a lot that could be added (for people like us on the forum) but most users are not really interested, they simply want something thats works.

Logging can be retrieved from the web (using xs4all), if you want to do more, then products like asteriks or sipx are come into play.

As for the DECT coverage, Siemens has a long history of delivering good quality wireless DECT telephones. I've been using a Chicago xxx (KPN OEM) without hardly any problems and coverage is good as well.

One comment I have, the phone units itself looks a bit more 'plastic' and cheap compared to the old 4000 sets.

But ... it works for me, sofar i'm happy, if it changes I will post it to the forum.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Current software version in my box

Firmware-versie: 020630000000 / 041.00
EEPROM-versie: 93
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

If you compare it to wip330g from linksys i have, its big, its not robust, its empty after 1 day use (without calling!) its slow, it responds after 3x ringing only. Menu's are slow..

Compared to that, the S450IP is a real winner. I have the phone off the power for almost 3 days now, and it still says 100% full battery. The only thing i am missing is an option for a address book but then with ldap or any other server based option.

// Erik

http://www.binkey.nl
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Hmm, look what i found.. http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,h ... rN,00.html

i dont know how it works, but the video looks very charming. I reckon nobody took a look at this solution yet?

// Erik

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Yes, it has even call forwarding and possibility to remotely open a door, the next step is a camera in the unit!
This Siemens Gigaset HC450 Door intercom has the same options as the GSM Deurbel (doorbell)
van Waleli http://www.gsmdeurbel.com.

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

I did not read much on the internet about the door opener itself, only the hc450 unit. That it forwards to your mobile phone when your not around is pretty nice feature then. I only wonder if my sip connections will send of a signal that there is someone at the door. But i think it will have some potential though.

I think we also had a discusion in one of the other topics concerning door openers, but a digital lock with transponder or something like this sounds ok , but must surely be expensive.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />Hmm, look what i found.. http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,h ... rN,00.html

i dont know how it works, but the video looks very charming. I reckon nobody took a look at this solution yet?

// Erik

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Cool :-)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

@snelvuur xs4all biedt de mogelijkheid om uitgaande gesprekken met een pin te blokkeren, enig idee hoe je dat kan laten werken met 'onze' prachtige C450 ...

Oops I did it again, wasn't that a song .... free translation ....
@snelvuur xs4all allows you to set a pincode to block outgoing calls, any idea how to enter the pincode using a c450ip
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

@willem, the person who speaks english alot. I know that you can easy set an option wheter your allowed to use outside lines (dial outside xs4all) i have not used pincode's myself. You want a pincode on your phone then?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />@willem, the person who speaks english alot. I know that you can easy set an option wheter your allowed to use outside lines (dial outside xs4all) i have not used pincode's myself. You want a pincode on your phone then?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
English version added, i'm having a deja vu ... well actually there is no real purpose but just for playing to see how it all works ....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Had a phone update a week or 2 ago, dunno whats new though. What i also found, if you have a asterisk/voip setup. Buy the nokia E65, it has wlan + voip. So you can also use that. I'll get that phone i think, all the other funs are dull and the ones i want you cant get yet for cheap (like the htc tyntyn2)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Their was a recent update, the internal clock now synchs with ntp, and automagically changes the clock to summer/wintertime. There is also something called info diensten, however this doesn't work for all phones ....

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”