Different house codes in one house?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

My Xanura installation will have (a lot) more devices than de maximum of 16 that fit within a house code. Obviously the designers didn't have nuts like us in mind when they were designing the protocol [:o)]

Anyway, I need to use multiple house codes. Which things should I take into account when putting nodes in the same or a different house code?
My plan was to use four house codes for illumination; One for each (of three) floors and one for outside. Further I wanted to have a separate group four outlets and a separate group for appliances. Is this a good/bad idea and why?

The X10 protocol has a built-in priority mechanism, very similar to CAN. This mechanism makes sure that messages with the lowest address always get the right of way in case two transmitters are transmitting simultaneously. Very clever. Does this mechanism weigh addresses including the house number? And does it weigh the address binary or alphabetical? The binary order of address differs from the alphabetical order: One would expect that address A01 is 00000000 binary, but it's not....
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I use multiple house codes as well. What I did is that I put logical devices together on the same house code. This is very easy when you want to switch a complete group of devices "ON" or "Off", for example with the command "All Units Off", "All Lights On" etc. All X10 devices on the same House code will react. Also take a look at the Xanura GIX http://www.bwired.nl/images/how/GIX.pdf which has a group interface. I'm not aware of the priority mechanism of the X10 A10 protocol. I have over 50 devices right now until now working great!

www.bwired.nl Online Domotica, Home Automation house.

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”