ipv6 on the HCB (new firmware required ?)

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
acfnews
Starting Member
Starting Member

ipv6 on the HCB (new firmware required ?)

Post by acfnews »

Hi all,

I believe the current firmware of the HCB, does not support ipv6 ? At least not in the GUI.
However, i guess a lot of peole (on this board) want to start experimenting with ipv6 and make devices like the hcb also use ipv6 on the local lan.

Any ideas ?

Best regards,

ron
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: ipv6 on the HCB (new firmware required ?)

Post by Mdamen »

Why would you want to use IPv6 on your local network? It makes no sense.. the main reason IPv6 is introduced is the lack of IP addresses on the internet in IPv4.
Ipv4 supports up to 4.294.967.296 addresses, hard to get them all used by devices on your local LAN :-)
acfnews
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by acfnews »

Hi Maarten,

I believe that ipv6 will replace the ipv4. Even on my internal network. Look at the past, where is X25, appletalk, bna? We simply are able to use it, but we don't.
Offcourse these can reside together on a lan, but my intention would be to phase out ipv4, preferably also on my lan.

If people choose to take the same approach is another question. However my intention was more general for the HCB. Most probably the kernel/driver is already capable of ipv6, however configuring it (via cli / gui) is another thing. On the other hand, client ipv6 could be as simple as enabling/disabling.

Best regards,
lukelle
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lukelle »

I should'n bother to use v6 on a home network. Maarten is right.
Besides, ipv6 and v4 can be used besides each other without interference. My guess is that that will be the standard for the next decades. Otherwise there are tons of hardware worlwide that have to be changed ;-)
acfnews
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by acfnews »

Thanks for the feedback...

However, is Maarten 'right', or do you simply agree with him? I think it is not 'right', but lazy.

Those 'tons' of hardware, yes if not properly designed, they have to be changed. That's why i started this topic to be in time and have a ipv6 stack available so i can start to run these together....I intent to keep the HCB for more years, and i bought it with the assumption it would be well supported, with these discussions/topics in mind.

Also, who would have thought that analog tv transmissions would decease in the short amount of time since the introduction of digital tv transmissions. Did the broadcasters care about those people with only analog tv sets ? No ........

Just my thoughts..... without intending to piss anybody off...
steve2xyz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by steve2xyz »

An application shouldn't care what the network transport is. Network level software will care very much. Surely any attempt to handle even possible future protocols is to be welcomed?

I have had IPv6 running here at home for some years now. My ISP (like almost all in the UK) doesn't support IPv6 but I can tunnel over IPv4 if necessary and right now it isn't necessary.

If you have a choice between two products, one which will at least try to work with future protocols and one which will certainly not, which are you going to go for?

Steve
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Currently I only have 1 IPv4 address on my internet link, but a complete block op IPv6 addresses.
If I run IPv6 on my home network, I don't have to NAT everything, but can just give every device a real IP (behind my Firewall ofcourse).

IPv6 gives loads more options, you can now finally run more than one SSL website without too much messing around.
Also, lots of (download) software will work faster, since direct communication is possible, without having to go through a NAT solution.

Also, you won't have to use your HCB on a different port anymore if you also want to run a website on port 80.

lots of options are getting available again, as they were always intended to be, but were not due to a lack of IP space.

just my 2cp. Can't wait until everyone is running ipv6 :)

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”