Anyone interested in an X10 development kit?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Installing X10 isn't a very cheap hobby, especially when you want to do extraordinary things which usually require multiple standard units. I'm currently thinking about designing an X10 development kit, but it's too much work and too expensive to do it just for myself.

Ideally I'll design (or 'borrow') an 2way X10 module, based upon an PIC controller. All the X10 hardware, a 5 volt power supply, a PIC controller and the components around it to make it run will be incorporated on one PCB. All remaining general purpose I/O pins will be avaliable on a connector and can be used for your own purpose, except for the in-cirquit programming pins. Those will be available on a separate connector.

The kit will also include a software implementation of the X10 protocal and a couple of example code on how to make your own X10 module with switch inputs or a relay output. With this kit you can build your own modules and define their behaviour yourself.

Teaming up in this makes it much cheaper and much more fun. And for those who don't know: Embedded software is written in C, just C, no +'s or anything. And in assembler, of course. Sorry VB, Java and C-hash guys ;-)
simplemind
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by simplemind »

Hello MindBender,

What's the status of this project?

Regards,

Marcel
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

The status is: Nobody's interested ;-) Unless of course you are...
simplemind
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by simplemind »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br />The status is: Nobody's interested ;-) Unless of course you are...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've looked at some shake and bake solutions and also ready devices some weeks ago but they were all 120V types. Btw, these were not development kits.

I read that your kit it is based upon a PIC controller and that triggered me. I'm new to the embedded controller world and I like those little PIC creatures that you can do everything another won't do [}:)].

I am interested in such X10 development kit but for me it is not the right time to start now. I've my simple leisure project and it cost me a tremendous effort to reserve some time for it beside my normal work for my living.

But I speak from experience that you must start building the device right now for yourself. When it is ready drop it on the net and there will be X10 user with a technical background who need it and buy it. There will be a market, just create it.

Regards,

Marcel

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”