DMX moodlight panel

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

some more interesting ledstrip stuff :

http://shop.a-r-e.nl/index.php?main_page=index

has some type of 'ambilight' capability (you can't connect it to your tv, only to a pc via usb) but also DMX controllable

(here's some more of this type of 'ambilight' stuff, though not DMX related :

http://www.ambilight4pc.com/home/ambilight-4-pcs.html)

Marcel
Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

some more (dutch) rgb ledstrip stuff

flexible and includes self-adhesive tape :

http://www.ledtuning.nl/catalog/product ... cts_id=325

they also sell DMX RGB controller

http://www.ledtuning.nl/catalog/product ... cts_id=420

and you can buy similar strips here :

http://www.leds-buy.nl/rgb-flexibele-le ... p-662.html

but no DMX controller...

Marcel
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Bwired »

Thanks Marcel
Much info, is making my choice more difficult :-) I will have some questions soon.
Can't decide with which set to start.
Regards Pieter
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Snelvuur »

Those led strips fullcolor are pretty cool. So if i'am correct the dmx rgb controller for it you need that too. And then you need a dmx controller like the lanbox or usb dmx. Right?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

There are 2 types of (dmx controllable) led dimmers
current or voltage (PWM)

most led strips already have resistors and need either 12V or 24V
(max. current depends on number/type of leds, see specs)

check example here

http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=637

so, for above ledstrips, you need a 12V power supply, that can supply enough current and a DMX controllable PWM dimmer that can handle enough current (total and per channel).

you need a minimum of 3 dim channels obviously (RGB)...

above example has 6 channels...

Marcel
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Bwired »

I'm not sure (update: Marcel I was 2 minutes later and did not see the Zigbee topic as well [:D])
According to Marcel (links) there are other way's to control the LEDs also by PC etc. I want a controller to control multiple RGB led strips and other LEDs (kitchen and Hall). But I don't like an USB connector because of placing the unit with the computer while the LEDs are in another place. Wireless would be great! All not so clear for me now and what is the best setting to start and to expand it easily in future. What I do know that LEDS is booming business, more shops are coming every day!
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Snelvuur »

Well i'am getting the http://www.lanbox.com/products/LCEDataSheet.html lanbox. Will this work with a led strip too?

Didn't notice the other url, since notifications didn't work (yet?)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Will this work with a led strip too?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">a led strip is just a bunch of leds and resistors.
there are no other electronic parts on it...

the lanbox should work with any DMX 512 dimmer (irrelevant if the dimmer connects to a single colour spotlight, RGB ledstrip, etc.)

Marcel
Lennart

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Lennart »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
I want a controller to control multiple RGB led strips and other LEDs (kitchen and Hall). But I don't like an USB connector because of placing the unit with the computer while the LEDs are in another place. Wireless would be great! All not so clear for me now and what is the best setting to start and to expand it easily in future.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The best way to start, in my opinion, would be to go for DMX if you want to control strips, RGB fixtures, panels, ect.

The Lanbox LCE is a *very* nice device for controlling DMX devices. I used to be quite happy with my Enttec USB controller, but the Lanbox is much more flexible because of the Ethernet connection and the stand-alone mode.

Which DMX devices to get depends on your personal preference, of course. You could start out with one ore more (non-)flexible strip modules to see how it works. Or a wall washer. Or a panel, so you have some more DMX channels to control.

Depending on what you choose, you might need to buy an additional driver that receives the DMX signal from the Lanbox (or other controller) and decodes it into a constant current for the LEDs or a PWM signal, depending on the type of device/driver. The driver either needs an external AC/DC converter or has one build in. Most of the Panel/wall washer devices have the driver build in, but that's not the case for the strip modules.

If you would like to use LEDs for more general (spot) lighting, you might also consider the E27/E14/GU10 replacement bulbs. Note that these usually cannot be dimmed and that quality may vary considerably.

Another option that works well would be to use the Klemko/Lumotech LED driver/power supply (it's both) that can be dimmed using a regular mains dimmer. But note that the powerleds that can be connected to this driver could also be made to be DMX controlled if connected to a suitable constant current (350 or 700 mA) powerled DMX driver.

If you don't want to run extra cables for DMX (daisy chain from controller to device to device!), the Zigbee DMX stuff seems to be promising.

In short: my advice would be to go out and buy a Lanbox LCE and a DMX device of your choice immediately :-).

Lennart
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Snelvuur »

My problem , since its daisy chain. Will i want to put empty cables in the new house for it. Where would i want the central place to be? The only cool thing i have in my head is the driveway. Make some lights in the ground, that once my car comes to the house i can make like a mini landing strip effect.. ;-)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />. Will i want to put empty cables in the new house for it.

check out zigbee alternative

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> that once my car comes to the house i can make like a mini landing strip effect.. ;-)

If you want some complicated light chasing effect ('looplicht')then you need quite a lot of dmx dimmers and wiring!!

normally you use 3 dmx channels (rgb) to control one long led strip.
and obviously all the leds will be the same colour.

I use the 6 channel dmx controller (see zigbee topic) so can have two different colours at the same time on 2 separate ledstrip sections)...
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Snelvuur »

well you dont need a led strip for this. Just a couple of lights. Place one every meter or so.. and then place 4 at each end.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />well you dont need a led strip for this. Just a couple of lights. Place one every meter or so.. and then place 4 at each end.

// Erik (binkey.nl)

if you want RGB lights and light chasing effects, then you still need 3 dmx dimmer channels per lamp (or couple of lamps)...

Marcel
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Bwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The best way to start, in my opinion, would be to go for DMX if you want to control strips, RGB fixtures, panels, ect.
The Lanbox LCE is a *very* nice device for controlling DMX devices. I used to be quite happy with my Enttec USB controller, but the Lanbox is much more flexible because of the Ethernet connection and the stand-alone mode.............
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thank Lennart,
Like you said there area lot of different quality products on the market regarding the LEDs. And if the light is not as good (or very close) to the old lights then I have a problem :-)
I will be buying a DMX but there is so much on the market and growing fast!
Thanks Pieter
Mhwlng

DMX moodlight panel

Post by Mhwlng »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />[quoteAnd if the light is not as good (or very close) to the old lights then I have a problem :-)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">If you expect ANY led light to be as bright or have as wide an angle as a normal (e.g. halogen) light of a decent wattage, then you will be disappointed...
RGB lights especially are only suitable as mood lighting...

Marcel

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”