correct order of buying/assembling jeenode's for homeseer

All about Arduino, Jeenode and other Clones (hardware & Software)

Moderator: Mdamen

nawikre

correct order of buying/assembling jeenode's for homeseer

Post by nawikre »

I unfortunitly have not attended the workshop and have some questions.

I want to start with this project and need to buy the jeenodes. If i am correct the first thing i have to buy is a jeenode to connect to the pc/server where homeseer is running on. This one is the main reciever/sender.
Then as expansion i have to buy another jeenode with the sensors or buy a jeenode with roomboard. I can place the extra jeenode (with roomboard) in a room and they will talk to eachother (if i put in the right sketch).

If this is correct i have still a couple of questions, and that is
1. can i use a jeelink (usb thing) as the module to connect to my pc? If not, why not?
2. i already have wires run to every room.....when i put a jeenode with temp/humid in a room. Can i hook it up to the wires and feed the jeenode with constant power? in stead of batteries?
3. can i use seperate sensors like a different temp sensor then the one on the roomboard with the sketch file that has been made for the plugin with homeseer? Because otherwise i have to buy the more expensive roomboard and i will not use the pir and light sensor.
4. can i use a cheap temp sensor like the S555TH (http://www.conrad.de/ce/ProductDetail.h ... 5857596416) or a oregon temp sensor without having to use a jeenode? So only 1 jeenode connected to the computer and in a room this temp/humid sensor?

hope you can help me with this so people that want to start with this project know where to start.

many thanks

Iwan
p.s please keep this topic as clean as possible so it is understandable for noobs (like me)
greetz,

Iwan
wwolkers

Re: correct order of buying/assembling jeenode's for homeseer

Post by wwolkers »

Usually the JeeLink is used as the connection to the PC.

Jeenodes can be used with constand power, no problem. just make sure you don't put 220v on it! :)

S555TH should be possible, but you will need a JeeNode with a separate 838MHz receiver, since those use OOK and the JeeNode radio can't do OOK ans FSK at the same time at the moment. Check the Jeelabs website for the OOK relay stuff
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Iwan,
You can find everything related to the workshop here: http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php ... %20Jeenode
Handouts, documentation, sketches,... everything. Maybe this will help you
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

Digit wrote:Iwan,
You can find everything related to the workshop here: http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php ... %20Jeenode
Handouts, documentation, sketches,... everything. Maybe this will help you
Well Robert,

i have read all handouts etc, but it does not say what you need etc. Because you have done more then only the jeenode, with roomboard at the workshop. So because i was not there, i do not know what items are related to the 'topic'
homeseer - pc - jeenode/jeelink (i don't know) [wireless] jeenode with sensors.

but as Wwolkers says..jeelink is used as the connection to the pc.....but if homeseer is running on a pc, i need the jeelink to communicate with my pc and an external jeenode (with sensors) to communicate with the jeelink???

what i basicly need is and shopping list. something like this.

you need a pc (naturaly)
you need homeseer
you need a jeelink as basic reciever/sender (or jeenode??)(that is connected to the computer and communicates with remote jeenodes (with sensors) with sketch from workshop
you need 1 or more jeenodes with optional sensors to communicate with the jeelink/ or main jeenode?? with sketch from workshop

Iwan
greetz,

Iwan
spierie

Post by spierie »

Hi Iwan,

You are correct, the jeelink is just another jeenode, but without any sensors attached.
The jeelink only has the RF12demo sketch on it to listen to other jeenodes transmitting sensor data

So the roomboard is a jeenode with a roomboard attached, on the roomboard is a LDR(measures light intensity), SHT11(measures temp and humidity) and an EPIR(infrared motion sensor).

What most people do is start of with the starter pack, http://jeelabs.com/products/wireless-starter-pack but it seems to be sold out at the moment.

Rgds,
Michel.
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

Ed gave me the answer in another topic...

thanks...so i need when i want to start

1 x jeelink
1 x jeenode (where the sensor will be attached to)
OPTIONAL 1 x roomboard (and maybe ask jean if i can get this board without light and pir)
OR
1 x sht11 (and make my own temp/humidity sensor board)

is this correct?

Iwan
greetz,

Iwan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Or 2 x JeeNode, 1 USB-BUB + (stripped Roomboard OR diy SHT11). Does this make your list incorrect? No.
There are a few options. But JeeLink is a good choice, however not as versatile as a JeeNode.

I was actually referring to the assembling part of the topic title when pointing you to the download in my earlier post.
IIRC there's a document in there on how to assemble a JeeNode. If not, you can find it here:
http://jeelabs.org/2010/09/26/assemblin ... eenode-v5/

1 question seems to be left unanswered.
3. can i use seperate sensors like a different temp sensor then the one on the roomboard with the sketch file that has been made for the plugin with homeseer? Because otherwise i have to buy the more expensive roomboard and i will not use the pir and light sensor.
Not without changing the sketch; it's written for the Room Board; but if you choose to use a LM35 for example, it shouldn't be too hard to change that.

I know it can be hard to get the full picture at once, the only tip I can give is: keep on reading everything you can find till you drop :)
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

For the connection to the PC, you can use the Jeelink, Jeenode or Jeenode USB. All you need is the atmega and the RM12B, which they all contain.
The JeeLink (v2) has some onboard memory to store data if needed.
basically, jeelink = jeenode without ports, but with some storage and a usb connector, in a plastic housing. (there was something else different, can't remember at the moment :)
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

Digit wrote:Or 2 x JeeNode, 1 USB-BUB + (stripped Roomboard OR diy SHT11). Does this make your list incorrect? No.
There are a few options. But JeeLink is a good choice, however not as versatile as a JeeNode.

I was actually referring to the assembling part of the topic title when pointing you to the download in my earlier post.
IIRC there's a document in there on how to assemble a JeeNode. If not, you can find it here:
http://jeelabs.org/2010/09/26/assemblin ... eenode-v5/

1 question seems to be left unanswered.
Not without changing the sketch; it's written for the Room Board; but if you choose to use a LM35 for example, it shouldn't be too hard to change that.

I know it can be hard to get the full picture at once, the only tip I can give is: keep on reading everything you can find till you drop :)
thanks for the info. When i make my own SHT11 and hook it up to the jeenode, do you need to change the sketch then? because i think it should be the same, other then the sketch is over progammed because i am not using the pir and LDR.

Iwan
i asked jean if i could buy the SHT11 seperately in steaad of buying the whole roomboard
greetz,

Iwan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I haven't tried nor checked so I cannot give a good answer on that. To make you feel better: if the sketch needs to be changed, I (and many others ;) can help.
But, as I mentioned earlier: some basic programming skills are essential to make a Arduino or JeeNode do exactly what you want.
At least you need to be able to (or gather the knowledge to) change a sketch which has a 90% fit and make it 100% yourself when you plan to do more in the future.
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

i would love to attend somekind of workshop where this is explained....how to interpret the code or how to make it...

untill then, i am trying the best i can....i also looked at the script you wrote for Ed...that is understandable and i can learn from that.

thanks

Iwan
greetz,

Iwan
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

You shouldn't have to change the sketch, if you use the same ports as used on the roomboard.
Devices which are not there, are simply not used.

Personally, I would buy the roomboard, and mount the units on that, since the roomboard is only 2.50 euro. That way you know for sure that the default sketch will work, and you have a nice way of mounting it all.
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

the roomboard cost 39,00 euro and you have to buy the jeenode, so it will be a total of E56,50.

offcourse if you only buy the empty board it is E2,50, but then if i want the sht11 on it it will cost a minimum of E28,00, so it is cheaper to buy the roomboard as a kit.

these costs are for 1 room......

Iwan

wwolkers wrote:You shouldn't have to change the sketch, if you use the same ports as used on the roomboard.

Personally, I would buy the roomboard, and mount the units on that, since the roomboard is only 2.50 euro. That way you know for sure that the default sketch will work, and you have a nice way of mounting it all.
greetz,

Iwan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

wwolkers wrote:You shouldn't have to change the sketch, if you use the same ports as used on the roomboard.
Even if it would, this would still create a motion device in HS that nawikre doesn't need/want. And deleting it won't help; it will return; and again, and again...
OK, you can hide it in HS? Not my favorite solution.
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

I bought my SHT11 from http://myworld.ebay.nl/artronicpl/ for about 14 Euro.
add 2,50 for the board, sets you back 16,50 per room + the jeenode.
That should be doable if you ask me.

Return to “Raspberry, Arduino, Cubietruck and other clones Forum”