Monitoring elektricity

All about Arduino, Jeenode and other Clones (hardware & Software)

Moderator: Mdamen

structor

Monitoring elektricity

Post by structor »

I recently ordered several jeenodes (I somehow missed the workshop from this forum :?) .

My first project is inspired by airsensor.co.uk/component/zoo/item/ener ... nitor.html.

I have build-up the schema from the url. I have applied a tsl261R as sensor, the biggest problem I currently have is that the TSl261 only produces 0.2V when the LED is on. This is not sufficient to act as a logical 1. My question is on this forum several users have a setup alike mine, what do you use as sensor and do you amplify the input signal?
panosnl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Monitoring elektricity

Post by panosnl »

Hi,

I am also in the process of using a jeenode for gas,water and electricity.
After internet research it was clear to use a phototransistor instead of a photodiode or LDR.
I tried a phototransistor in front of the pulsed LED an it detects the pulses nicely without any extra hardware.
Now I am facing a new challenge: Getting the sensor readings into Jeemon or Domotiga. I hoped some (almost) ready software could be used. It looks like that more coding is required than I hoped for.
structor

Post by structor »

What type of phototransistor are you using?

I am using a TSL261, which actually does have an amplifier component the only problem is that it does not amplify enough. If I look at the datasheet the 260 which has more amplification will give me roughly 0.6V, which is still not enough.

To get the sensor readings in my domotica system will require some coding, but i don't expect any problems there ;)
panosnl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by panosnl »

I have a BPW40 ( http://www.voti.nl/winkel/catalog.html?T-BPW40 ) which is a normal fototransistor. You have a photo to voltage device it seems.

The BPW is is more an on/off switch and is also sensitive to visible light.

Take also a look at a jeenode project; http://jeelabs.net/projects/11/wiki/Ele ... tion_meter

Return to “Raspberry, Arduino, Cubietruck and other clones Forum”