Opening slidegate

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
lokupa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Opening slidegate

Post by lokupa »

Hi, i have à slidegate i want to open wireless
The gate opeens by an electrical motor by remotecontrol (keyfobs) or with a key.
The key works with n.o contact (normal open contact).
Does anyone have an idea how to do that ?
I'm using vera2 as my controlcenter and an iPad with sqremote.
So wat i have to do is to control wireless an n.o. contact.
I would be very happy if somebody could help me out.

Thanks,
Erik.
Sooty

Re: Opening slidegate

Post by Sooty »

Does the N/O contact need to be pulsed closed for some time to activate the open or close action or does open contact = closed gate and closed contact = open gate ? My gate controller works on the pulse method. Each pulse toggles between open and close.

It doesn't really matter either way beacuse you could use a Fibaro FGS211 for this as it can be configured to automatically turn off after a user configured time and it can be used as a dry contact relay.

I'm actually using an FGS221 double relay for my gates with Homeseer as a controller. I'm using relay 1 for some lighting and relay 2 for gate control via another relay because both relays on the FGS221 share an input which I have wired with mains voltage for the lights. I have noticed is that if the module is configured to automatically switch off after x seconds, then both the on and off comands will cause relay 2 to close for the given time. I'm using the Off command on relay 2 because I don't have this module configured for status feedback. This way the status stays off in Homeseer. I think I read somewhere that the double relay does not properly update it's status in Homeseer.

Paul..
lokupa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lokupa »

Paul,

Thanks for your quick reply.
As you said in your post, each pulse toggles between open and close. Same way here.
I have a Fibaro fgs 211 that i can use.

Since i'm not an electrician it's hard for me how to do the wiring stuff.
There are two cables coming from the gate that can be used as an NO contact.
Do you now how to do that ?
So this is wat i have : two cables for the main voltage and two thin cables for the NO contact.
Can you please tell me how to do the wiring ?

Thanks a lot !
Best regards..
Erik.

Btw are you Dutch?
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

No I'm British

Perhaps a picture is better than words.
You will also need to configure parameters 3 and 4 on the FGS211. Parameter 3 to switch on the "Auto Off" feature and parameter 4 to set the "Auto Off Time".
NOTE: I have not tried the auto off feature on the FGS211 because I only have the FGS221 double relay. It works fine on the FGS221.
You can connect multiple devices to the N/O contact points. My video intercom is connected to the same point as the Fibaro.

Paul..
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (14.26 KiB) Viewed 10236 times
lokupa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lokupa »

Paul,

I don't know how to thank to.
This is so nice explained, just can't any better.
People like you keeps us going on....so thanks again !!!
I will post the result :) :) :)

Did you made that nice picture by yourself or can i find them somewhere ?

Erik.
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

No problem Erik, I'm happy to be of help if I can.
I don't normally get time to do a lot of posting on forum's, but over the last 3 or 4 weeks I have not had much work to do so I have spent a little more time at home playing with my HA stuff and reading forums etc. I think that I will be busy working after next week until Christmas, so I will probably go quiet again for a while.

I copied the picture of the FGS211 from the internet and then just added the coloured lines and connection info. Am I correct in thinking that you have the same colour wiring for a single phase system in Holland (Blue=Neutral) (Brown=Live) (Green/Yellow=Earth) ?

Paul..
lokupa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lokupa »

Sooty wrote: Am I correct in thinking that you have the same colour wiring for a single phase system in Holland (Blue=Neutral) (Brown=Live) (Green/Yellow=Earth) ?
Paul,

It's the same here except that Red=Live.
Don't stay away to long i do have a couple of others issues. :P :P :P
I don't have that much time myself but we all haven't, have we ?
So for now maybe i can wish you already a merry Xmas. :)

Thanks again.
Erik.
lokupa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lokupa »

Hi,

The slide is working as aspected, nice and smooth but.....
As Paul described earlier in this topic each pulse toggles between open and close the gate.
The slide can also be openend by a key and some wireless keyfobs.
How can i know the status of the gate since someone opens it by the iPad , someone by the keyfob etc...
I already contacted the manufacturer of the openingsystem but there is no way i can read it directly from the system.
Schould i install some magnetcontact when the gate is closed and pass that through vera2 ?

Any help is very welcome,
Erik.
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

Although I use Homeseer not Vera, I still use magnetic contacts for this purpose as my gate controller is also not capable of showing the status of the gate(s) and each contact closure toggles between open and close.

My gates are 2 leaves as opposed to 1 sliding, so I have 3 sets of contacts which allows me to see if the gates are open, closed or in motion. There is one contact in the centre of the leaves which makes when they are together (closed) and one on each leaf which makes when that leaf is fully open.

Another advantage of this approach is that I also know if the gates are stuck. If all 3 contacts are open for more than 1 minute, then there must be a problem.

Paul..
lokupa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lokupa »

Hi Paul,

Hmm......very smart !!!
Can you tell me what kind of contacts you're using and how they communicate with your system ?
I haven't seen such contacts for outdoor using.

Greetzzz !!
Erik
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but this is very similar to the contact switches I use http://uk.farnell.com/hamlin/59140-1-s- ... dp/5541141 They are normally found in industrial control applications as opposed to home security systems.

I currently have the contacts communicating with Homeseer via Visonic MCT-100's and the RFXCOM plug-in. The MCT-100's are enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure along with the gate controller electronics etc. In Homeseer I have 3 devices for the 3 contacts and I use Homeseer events and a self written script to combine the 3 contacts into a single "gates status" device.

I suppose there are many ways to get the contact status into your system depending on what system and hardware you have.

Paul..

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”