Hardware running on .Net Micro Framework

All about Arduino, Jeenode and other Clones (hardware & Software)

Moderator: Mdamen

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hardware running on .Net Micro Framework

Post by Digit »

Hi all,
2 days ago a new board arrived, running on the .Net Micro Framework.
With all this new Gadgeteer stuff going on I thought it would be nice to get a bit more acquainted with the .NET MF, so I bought a board to tinker with.
It arrived 2 days ago and I attached some spare hardware I had laying around to this board.

So far I managed to get a Lux sensor and a 20x4 LCD running; with most time spent on reading datasheets btw :wink:
And with the upcoming .Net FW version 4.2 programming in VB.Net will also be available; maybe this will make these devices/platform more interesting for some people here.
If you wanna know more, here are some articles that might be interesting:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2012/05/16/ardu ... framework/
http://blog.hekkers.net/2012/05/17/firs ... h-luxplug/
http://blog.hekkers.net/2012/05/17/fez- ... olled-lcd/
erisan500

Re: Hardware running on .Net Micro Framework

Post by erisan500 »

Looks like domoticans are not interested in .Net hardware...shame, shame, shame....
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

Hi,

I'm very interested in this, and have been looking at this lately both the Netduino and GHI. For GHI I find the cerberus quite interesting, however the gadgeteer modules themselves are quite expensive, but the breakout boards will help in using standard sensors to be connected to the gadgeteer sockets.

I think personally the PanStamp was very nice, but shame to see it was based on the arduino.

I would love to see a standard communication platform based on the low frequency RF to be used with the .NET system.

BR,
Martin
erisan500

Post by erisan500 »

I use 2.4Ghz RF modules that can send at 2Mbit, and they cost 2,9€, and thats what i've settled on.

XBee is very nice, but way too expensive
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I think the way Gadgeteer is set up is to enable easy & quick result for everyone - if you can plug a power cord in a wall socket, you can also connect a sensor/actor to your Gadgeteer board. The rest is software :)

For me, this type of hardware is just another way to do the things I wanna do; I've now succesfully used a FEZ Panda to do stuff an Arduino can do just as well - it's a matter of picking the right hardware for what you're trying to accomplish. A new platform like this enriches my toolbox and I'm sure it enables me to do things I can't do on Arduino.

Currently I'm trying to get an Arduino 320x240 TFT LCD shield working on top of the FEZ Panda II, but I don't think that the Panda will beat the Arduino (in terms of performance; I've just started with this so concluding may be a bit premature).
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

Erisan, which sensor are you using and what is the range that you are getting? I'd love to use Ethernet cabled/wifi all over, but it is just too expensive.

I like .NET because the debugging is great compared to any of the other available hardware. Besides im writing my whole HA in .NET :-)
erisan500

Post by erisan500 »

WooTz wrote:Erisan, which sensor are you using and what is the range that you are getting?
Sensor for what? I use mostly OneWire sensors, but also Hall-Effect sensors. Depends on what you wanna measure.
Regarding the range, i didn't do any tests, but my home is about 20 by 10 and i have no reception problems. I can easily reach the opposite side of the house. (depends on the type of walls, and transceiver placement)
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

I used the wrong word :-) What type of transmitter are you using, and did you create your boards yourself?
I would like to create some standards for .NET because there seem to be hardly any for HA and .NET It's already difficult to find some code for humidity sensors.
erisan500

Post by erisan500 »

I'm using these: http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php? ... ucts_id=53

Regarding code, if you can read a datasheet, you can write the code too, thats how I do it for code-less sensors

Return to “Raspberry, Arduino, Cubietruck and other clones Forum”