new project: tips are welcome

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
cmnaac
Starting Member
Starting Member

new project: tips are welcome

Post by cmnaac »

Hi everybody,

I am thinking of installing a home automation system in my new house. Despite of bought it new, it was already finished, which means I couldn’t ask for some changes that would facilitate the installation / configuration of a home automation system. Basically the house has two floors and it was included an security system (siemens IC60), electric shutters (switched AC 230V), gate and garage (DITEC systems) and garden irrigation system (2x 24V Gardena Valves).

In the near future I would like to have operational the following:
1 measurement of overall home electricity, water and gas consumptions
2 electrical consume metering / control (dis)connect devices (TVs, printers, washing machines, freezers, notebook & GSM chargers/adapters, etc)
3 control of the irrigation system (switch on-off the DC 24V power)
4 automate the operation of shutters (based on time/light, the (de) activation of the alarm, etc.)
5 interconnection between the home automation system and the security system (activation scenario nobody home)

Later, I also would like to do some Control lights and control the (dis) activate the central heating.

As the main center of the home automation system I was thinking of a Windows PC connected to a USB RFXtrx433 and running a free software (ultimately buy the HomeSeer). To interact with PLC X10 modules I’m thinking in use a CM15Pro or a more basic approach with a TM13 RF/PLC transceiver.
To operate the topics mentioned above I was thinking of doing the following:
1 RFXMeter solution with 3 modules RFXPulse. If however the new module became available RFXPwr might choose that instead of a RFXPulse connected to a sensor Photo
2 plugwise solution
3 modules MARMITEK UM7206
4 modules MARMITEK SW12
5 switching module connected to an alarm relay output.

What do you think? would you opt for another approach and / or systems?
Any criticisms / tips are welcome.
thank you all

Best regards,
Carlos Costa
cmnaac
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: new project: tips are welcome

Post by cmnaac »

Hello!!

Anybody home, :)?

any comments are welcome
olof

Re: new project: tips are welcome

Post by olof »

Hi Carlos,

Just my 2-cents worth of personal opinion.

I would personally stay away from X10 as a technology. It's old technology and sometimes tends to have operational issues (just read about it in this forum). In other words, it is not always stable or reliable to use. If you want to go wireless (as I did), the preferred technology tends to be Z-wave. That said, there a few forum members which still have, and like their X10 setup.

X10 can't be beat from a financial investment. Z-wave is more expensive, but it is becoming cheaper. For example, for lighting, there's no no longer a need to replace your current light switches to install Z-wave. Use the Fibaro stuff instead which installs behind your existing light switches.

Other than that, I also have RFXCom, Plugwise and use Homeseer as controller. With both I'm very happy with it. RFXCom links my alarm system sensors (Visonic) to Homeseer. For music I use Sonos which is also linked into Homeseer. My gate is hooked up with Homeseer through IPPower 9212

Good luck
Olof

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”