Echo on A10 signal?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Echo on A10 signal?

Post by stefxx »

Hi!

I have been using Xanura modules (lots of SAIX12 and DAIX12, and a few ZAX12 modules) for several years. If I switch on and off the SAIX12 in 1 or 2 seconds, every now and then the light switches on and off twice. Not a big issue, it looks like the A10 signals are being bounced back somehow. I doesn't really bother me, but I like to know why this is happening, so I might better understand the next problem:

I recently added a new SAIX12 switch, and I am having a more serious “echo” issue with this one. I know it is more at the end of my power cabling, so the length of the signals might have something to do with it. When I switch the device on or off, several seconds later (up to 10 seconds later!) the device switches again. Not on and off, but just on when it was off and off when it was on. Very annoying! And it is killing for the WAF!

I have no repeaters or signal boosters installed. I really don’t understand why this happens. Or could it simply be a faulty module?

Anyone recognize those issues?
Henk

Re: Echo on A10 signal?

Post by Henk »

Indeed a strange behaviour .... time for trouble shooting ... two suggestions

1. replace that suspicious SAIX12 by another one ...... so is it a faulty SAIX12 or is the location on the powerline

2. place another SAIX12 with the same housecode and unit on your power .. so if this is also switching on/off there is a real A10 command on the line

try to get an X10 diagnostic tester like PMIX35 .... so you can see what is going on the powerline ...

Henk
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Do you have any other marmitek stuff, X10 motion sensors etc
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

No, I replaced all my X10 modules with A10 years ago.

I will try to replace the SAIX12 this weekend to see if it is not simply a faulty module.

Next step is to analyze with a PMIX35 and try to reproduce the problem.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Strange
Some of the marmitek devices like the rf receiver is known to echo some commandos
Replacing is good to try and use multiple housecodes
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Changing the housecode on that specific device from E to O reduced the problem a lot. Changing it to N removed the problem completely (for now at least).

But I don't understand why... I will leave it like this for a week or so, to see if it really helps.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Can you tell exactly what x10 devices you all have?
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

26 SAIX12 and DAIX12 modules, 3 ZAX12, 3 SFX40 filters (1 in the meterkast, 1 for my home theather and 1 for my computers otherwise they disturb the powerline signals) and 1 PMIX35. I have a 1 phase system.

I have a SVX10 repeater but it is currently not in use.

And I forgot: I use a few Miele@home devices, and they also operate on the powerline offcourse.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

That is a very nice setting with the best and latest Xanura products, i have the same but then for 3 phase.
SVX10 is a signal enhancer, but if you filter everything good, you dont need it.

I was a beta tester for Xanura for many years and help a bit with developing.
My powerline was tested by Xanura many times. What we saw then that other X10 sensors like the MS13 or the transceiver module TM13 messed up the commands causing problems you have. Or UM7206 - Universele X10 ontvanger or simular connected to a Visonic Alarm panel etc.
But you are not using any of them :)
Also software can cause these problems, the X10 Homeseer driver for example is a very bad driver which misses lots of commands, specially when you have lots of x10 devices.
So check you software, also for events and stuff....
check also firmware of the saix12 (its on the side of the module, small sticker) could be one of the first new SAIX12 modules?
Also if you have lots of modules, divide them in groups (housecodes)
Also I would never use the housecode A, lots of people in neighborhood could be using this, but in your case not, you have the SFX40 installed in front of all the groups.
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Thanks for all your tips, I think I implemented all of them except that I am using the X10/TI103 homeseer driver. As far as I know, there is no other driver available for Homeseer…

Last week it happened two times that after switching the light off, it immediately went on again. So I just replaced the SAIX12 with another one. Not sure where I can find the firmware version, but on the small yellow sticker on the side there is a very long number that looks like a serial number. Perhaps the firmware version is in there?

The SAIX12 that was causing problems had numer 0821600070. I replaced it with a SAIX12 with number 0847600173. It is too early to tell if the “new” SAIX12 is much better.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

yes thats an older version, its on the sticker on the side
lets see what happens now.....
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

I think I figured it out... a few days ago, the lights on that particular SAIX12 went on, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! After switching it off, it went on again a few minutes later. After the third time, I had to disconnect it, so I could continue sleeping…

The next morning I realized that that particular SAIX12 was the only one with problematic behavior. Replacing did not help, so perhaps I was looking at the wrong "side" of the cable.

It switches two transformers, connected to several halogeen lights. I connected THREE AFX3 filters, but that didn’t really help. Then I tried a SFX40 between the SAIX12 and the transformers, and the problem went away!

Next step is replacing the transformers. And perhaps I will switch to LED at the same time 8)

Thanks for all your help!

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”