RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

Lennart

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Lennart »

I think I'll take the plunge and order a 5 meter RGB led strip + DMX controller to test / compare. Two observations:

- Prices of the Cyprus shop are excluding 15% VAT.
- They are very responsive to inquiries by e-mail (exchanged 2 e-mails within an hour or so after 11 PM on Saturday evening!)

I'll let you know what happens :-). If it all works out, I might go for the currently backordered MR16 DMX spot and IP67 RGB led strip sometime in the future, but let's first wait and see.

Lennart
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

Will be waiting to know how it goes.
When it comes to mood lights and LEDs, I don't need to say I'm a very big fan also! :)
Mversluis

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Mversluis »

Lennart,

can you give me a PM , a have a question for you... "of topic "

Thanks
Lennart

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Lennart »

Hi Marco,

PM is in your mailbox!

Lennart
Lennart

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Lennart »

Hi all,

Last Sunday, I ordered a 5 meter reel of the RGB LED strip and a 3A/channel DMX controler from Highline-Lighting (they also offer a 6A/channel version, but the 3A/channel was in stock). Last Monday, I got an e-mail stating that the products had been shipped. Yesterday, the package arrived (5 working days!). Everything arrived in good condition. I did a small test and it all seems to work well.

I made some pictures of the products and especially the DMX controller, side by side to the "Solarox" version as shipped by Led1.de, the German webshop that I used to order this kind of products from, but which is 2 to 3 times more expensive...

Hiline strip:

Hiline strip detail:

Led1 strip detail:

Hiline DMX controller (left) and Led1 DMX controller (right), side by side:

Some observations:

- Hiline reel uses 161 coded (=160 Ohm) smd resistors in places where Led1 reel uses 151 coded (=150 Ohm) smd resistors. Otherwise, both reels seem to be exactly identical.

- Hiline DMX controller ships in a larger box, which is otherwise identical, except for the Led1 "Solarox" label. Size of both controllers is exactly the same.

- Led1 DMX controller ships with one male and one female DMX plug to build your own DMX cable. No plugs included with the Hiline controller.

- Led1 DMX controller accepts a 5V-24V DC range as input voltage. Hiline accepts either 12V or 24V.

- Led1 DMX controller has a more extensive test program build into the controller (which I don't use as I use a Lanbox for control).

- Hiline DMX controller uses wiring which is a little different from the Led1 controller: Blue, Green, Red, versus Channel 1 (R), Channel 2 (G) and Channel 3 (B). The green connector plug is also a little different (but they are compatible).

- Led1 DMX controller has LT-SYSTEM-8030 as type number. Hiline controller has LT-DMX512-3 as type number. Hiline does sell an LT-SYSTEM-8030, but they claim it is 6A/channel, not 3A/channel as in case of the Led1 DMX controller.

- Led1 DMX controller has a more shiny/glossy finish.

- Functionally, I didn't notice any difference between the Led1 and Hiline products. (But it was a limited test and I couldn't compare brightness as I already installed the Led1 strip in a hard to reach place.)

My conclusion:

- All products seem to come from the same (Chinese) manufacturer LTech (http://www.ltech-led.com/DMX512_Decoder/) that just uses whatever cheap batch of components they can lay their hands on (that would account for the difference in resistors, connectors and casing finish).

- If you need/want this kind of products, Hiline-Lighting is the way to go (as long as their current prices last).

Note that the picture at the Ltech website shows an LT-SYSTEM-8030 controller that is 12V or 24V (not 5V-24V) and note that Hiline offers a 6A/channel version (http://www.hiline-lighting.com/pd-dmx51 ... roller.cfm), so that means there must be at least 4 versions of this controller out there...

One more thing: given Marcel's post in http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=637, it wouldn't surprise me if http://www.ledtuning.nl/catalog/product ... cts_id=295 would also be the same LED strip (it's the 30 leds/meter version of the 60 leds/meter strip that Marcel is using). Note that at EUR 187,50 per reel incl. VAT it is not that much more expensive.

Lennart
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

Great hearing that. We'll wait for some of your photos when you have it up and running. :)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Bwired »

Hi Lennart,
Great to see this all!
So the Led business is big business as well, even the Greek webshop is making money! So i guess the prices will drop severe in the near future. Hoping to see some picture when it's working. Nice the hear the Greek is reliable :-)
Regards Pieter
Led-lighting
Starting Member
Starting Member

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Led-lighting »

yes, LED business is very good right now. But prices are down a lot, more and more people start the business, new LED lighting factory was born every day. As far as I know, only in Shenzhe China, there are more than 400 company's doing the LED business! So do I![:D]
Any way, I think our price will be more competitive, USD80.00/reel(5meter) + freight cost about USD50.00, So this one is a little expensive. If you are interested, please contact with me at bruce8@yeah.net, I think that we can do some cooperation!
Regards!
Bruce
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by MindBender »

A new cooperative purchasing has started here:
http://www.samenkopen.net/action/577987
Even though I fail to see the purpose of a 30cm strip, they do seem to have a couple of nice controllers, including DMX controllers.
Niknik

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Niknik »

Would be nice to have a LED strip around the 5 Eur/meter... (excluding the controller of course)
Led-lighting
Starting Member
Starting Member

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Led-lighting »

we hope so.but the cost of the LED should be down and down, then 5EURO/meter will not be a problem.
HERO-LEDStore.com
Starting Member
Starting Member

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by HERO-LEDStore.com »

Hi Bwired,

Sorry, but I am late. Maybe I can help you with RGB LED Strips if found this site and forum before you posted this topic. Maybe you have to make some advertising about this forum here, so that many led solutions can be provided to you ^_^

When you buy 5 meters RGB Strips, you also have to buy a rgb controller. Usually 5meters RGB has a 36Watts power consumption.

So, it is better to find a right supplier who provide comperhensive range,matching power supply accordingly.....That help you save $$$

Carl

HERO-LEDStore.com, Free Shipping Worldwide
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Snelvuur »

remove the "." from the url, otherwise it wont work (and i cant read chinese)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by Bwired »

Not a handy site, and not working very good.
Hope the products are better?
andywee

RGB LED Strip 5 Meters

Post by andywee »

dont meant to burst your bubbles but i have had experience with china LED.. there's a reason why they have massive heatsinks on the bulbs. those little fins. cuz they can get quite hot.

the best I have came across are japan made. they dont have heatsink fins cause they are totally not even warm to touch.

I also heard from friends that they dont last very long.

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”