Sonos vs. Logitech - What do you think

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Francois

Post by Francois »

Herbus,

I think this is possible for the Sonos solution, Sonos has a line-in that can be connected to the output of the system with the speaker client. The sonos system can be configured to "listen" to the line-in and convert the signal in a format that than can be played on all other Sonos devices. (this feature is aimed at having a dvd/cd player connected to a receiver and playing the music wireless on all other rooms).

Francois
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

For now i use a combination in hstouch, ie window to browse the lib .. and buttons like play volume etc and album art as hstouch objects.

Thats because i dont get the api logic wich must make it possible.
But as mentioned pcp ( the maker of the plugin ) is still developing and is bussy implementing full hst support.

It must also be possible to drive it direct thru hst as the player is webbased, and all functionality can be adressed thru http protocol but i didnt try that yet.

I also read something about voice support and that it should be possible, but thats not of my intrest. To play something on a event or eventchange is. Like barking dogs when some one rings the door bel and you are not in ;)

With 3 sq boxes ( clasic, boom and duet ) and 2 pc's running 24/7 i can have 5 zones... and the total price was 570,-
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

What i'm curious about is, do all those products sync with every room?? Question goes for all above products.

Alexander
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Yes, the sq can sync with the sq you want it to be in sync with. Like i can control every sqbox with the duet controller, or the duet controller with the boombox.
( duet controller can also be used as player thru jack or internal speaker )

sync them all, play individual multiple streams....

- my only negative point of the duets controller is the relative long time it takes to re connect from sleep ( wifi connection ) so i keep this one on the loader wich makes it less usable as remote.
Francois

Post by Francois »

On the sync topic: yes both the queeze and sonos can sync but configuring this differs for both solutions:
- Sonos: fast, intuitive and easy from the UI, selectg all you want and than sync
- Squueze: link one to the other, to the other, to the other --> not as intuitive, easy and simple.

Francois
glabbeek

Post by glabbeek »

The Sonos script is some what basic. you can do a lot, but you really have to read the manual to understand the basic philosophy of the script.

You can send any sound to the sonos system. You can dim the currently playing music, while a vioce command comes in. You can choose which zone it needs to be played in and at what volume.
I play doorbell,phone call, alarm, and many other alerts of the system.

downside is that, for now, there is not a nice way off intergrating you music lib into HS.

I've advised many friends to buy the sqeeuzebox system, it's low cost, high tech and has a reasonable sound quality.
Very good for playing music, it's just not HIFI.
mgb
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mgb »

Considering the specs of what is HIFI. Anything that can play sound seems to apply.
Saying the squeezebox is not Hifi is a bit weird. Soundquality is very good (better than most surround receivers) and can be improved by using an additional DAC. If you only play MP3, there both decent enough.
jvs
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jvs »

In addition to the dac you might need a better power supply.

For best price/quality you can use the following set-ups:

1)Squeezebox - improved power supply - analog/digital amplifier
2)Squeezebox - improved power supply - DAC - analog amplifier

Pricing around euro 225 for a good dac
http://www.wifimedia.eu/catalog/musical ... p-722.html

and

euro 259 for a good power supply
http://www.wifimedia.eu/catalog/vdcsbvo ... p-291.html

euro 159 for the squeezebox classic

So in total for two rooms: euro 1.286

Compared to two room Sonos set-up:

2x zoneplayer 90 + 1 controller + 1 zonebridge= 2x349 + 1x349 + 99= 1.146

Start listening in losless format and you know what to use
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

If you want to use a cheaper solution than have a look at Devolo dLAN Audio extender
http://www.ibood.com/nu/nl have a good discount only today of euro 40 for one set.

Btw, You can control the music in any way you want.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

i have squeezebox too, easy simple, and loads of open source stuff around it. If they finish a proper hstouch interface for it, i think thats the only way to go for me then. Sonos is nice, but i dont want yet another control.. for the pronto there is also a nice interface for the squeezecenter. Sonos might be better in some area's but then again i am not a hifi geek.. so in my ears its sounds the same..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
glabbeek

Post by glabbeek »

I think the squeeuzebox will right for 80% of the people.

If you are not OK with the sound and are going to use a amplifier, you will lose the finess of the system. all in one.

You will have to control the amp separately.

http://www.avblog.nl/test-sonos-draadlo ... eksysteem/
Viper1970
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Viper1970 »

I concur with Glabbeek, recently i bought the squeezebox boom (Bedroom), Squeezebox Classic (Living room) connected to a high End Amplifier. The backend SqueezeCenter (is since yesterday called Squeezebox Server!!) is running on my Synology 209II. With the HS plugin installed, you have lots of flexibilities. i.e. waking up you favorite music, while you can use the display of the squeezebox devices to present your latest info (i.e. file status, so you can decide to sleep further :-) )
As mentioned by glabbeek i do use an Ir Solution (IR Trans) to control the Amplifier in the living room. Last but ot least the SqueezeCenter has an out of the box touch webpage which you may use on a touchscreen (http://<your squeecenter>/touch )
Francois

Post by Francois »

The built in touchscreen is a nice option, did not know about that one. Did you integrate it in HSTouch?

Also all the features offered by the HS plugin look very promissing.

Yesterday I tried installing the squeezebox plugin but found it requires a beta version of HS. Version 2.3.0.23 is required and since I am currently running .19 it won't install. At this time I am considering installing the Beta but since .19 is rock solid I am still reluctant to do so. I do not have a clear picture off all possible implications and looking back to the lastest upgrade adventure does not help either :(

Francois
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

When using Squeezebox Server you can use a soft player like softsqueeze or squeezeplayer, that runs on any Windows, Linux or OSX system. I do not have any squeezebox hardware but use only the software. I run squeezeplayer on my OSX Mac Mini that is also running Plex and is connected to my audio and tv system. An indeed I integrated the touch web interface into my own touch domotica interface (non HSTouch).

Rene.
Francois

Post by Francois »

Rene,

do you mind sharing a screenshot of the integration? I like to get some creative ideas?

Francois

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”