HVAC Zone Control

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
wwwblazer
Starting Member
Starting Member

HVAC Zone Control

Post by wwwblazer »

Hello,

I would like to zone control my house and I'm trying to find a simple hvac controller. I looked at some of the networked or serial thermostats but they are just too expensive and some don't offer simple on/off commands. Do you know of any simple on/off,heat/cool, fan on/off devices???

In this fasion I can setup my own zones and rules.
-Will
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

HVAC Zone Control

Post by Bwired »

Hi Will
A hvac controller is already for a long time on my list, just cant find the right solution. Leike has an example of his solution on his page see http://home.planet.nl/~lhendrix/x10_verwarming.htm

There is also the Digimax 210 thermostat http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl/catalog/pro ... hermostaat

And if you have a heating device with open-therm you could try to make a controller for opentherm. I'm busy building a interface right now. If it works you can get all the information on a rs232 port that also your thermostat gets. I have build the interface but I'm not able to get some data on the rs232 yet. I have attached a pdf with the circuit.
I use for now the Xanura SAX15 which I have build in my Hvac (heating) system. If I switch this actor on with my system, the thermostat also says the heating is on, this is because of the opentherm protocol the Hvac is using. Its not optimal because if the thermostat puts the heating on, I'm not able to switch it off with the SAX15. Still figuring out what the best option is.
If you have found any nice thermostats like you said please name them on this forum.

Regards Pieter

www.bwired.nl Online Domotica, Home Automation house.
wwwblazer
Starting Member
Starting Member

HVAC Zone Control

Post by wwwblazer »

Since I don't have a HVAC that supports the opentherm protocol I think I may just take an old analog thermostat and hook my rs-232 port in place of the mercury switch. At least I'll be able to turn on and off heat/ac/fan.
Han

HVAC Zone Control

Post by Han »

Controlling my heating system is one of the reasons I have build an X10 temperature sensor (using extended code 1 type 1 commands). The program I use is currently in the proces of being updated to recognize and use these commands and associated data. The "if/then/else" and the "scene" capabilities of the program should make comparison of temperature with set values possible and control my HVAC via an appliance module. As the system knows when I'm away or sleeping, the temperature can be set accordingly.

Han Alink

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”