Import tax on products outside Europe

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Hi Guys,
I agree with Digit!
Here are some additional links regarding 1-Wire.

There is also a 1 Wire network device called HA7net check it out on
http://embeddeddatasystems.com/page/EDS/PROD/HA/HA7Net
I am thinking about it to buy it i the near future.

Also a lots of 1-Wire devices at
http://www.midondesign.com/
http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/

I think Midon is very cheap on shipping cost. I use the log08 from Midon as 1-Wire logging device, it can run standalone as well.

Regards Pieter,

www.bwired.nl
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

All,

I'm very interested in the HA7NEt, price looks fine, shipping a bit steep ... but now the question: This is import, so what can i expect to pay for import duty ... and/or VAT. Anyone experience with this, or is electronics free of duty.

Willem.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Willem,
The last 5 times I had to pay around 20% tax. In the past I did not have to pay for customs that many times, so I got it without taxes. Now all the postal company's are fully automated with all their computer-systems etc you have have to pay every time, at least I did! If I buy at Ebay I always ask to put a way lower price on the box, company's normally don't do that, but you can try. Otherwise I think it's every time bingo!
Pieter
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Hi Pieter,

Is that 20% in total or do i get VAT on top as well , and to whom and how do you pay. Apologies for these questions, but sofar i only ordered in Europe, and never overseas.

Willem.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

That's total.
The handling depends on which postal company, normally I get a letter which tells me to deposit the tax on a certain account number, after they receive my payment I get the parcel!

Pieter
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

They use UPS and UPS garantuees delivered before ... curious to see how they gonna resolve this :-)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Last week I ordered a HP tablet TC1100 from the United States. The Tablet was shipped with UPS. And yes.... UPS charged 20% tax (customs) right at the door on delivery. A lot of money what goes to our nice country [}:)]
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

Well actually not to bad, just a little more as standard VAT :-)

Willem

PS: Do they have a wireless PIN machine, or cash only
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

With UPS you can sign for a one time withdrawal from your account, so thats really handy. They don't use a pin machine.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Last week I ordered a HP tablet TC1100 from the United States. The Tablet was shipped with UPS. And yes.... UPS charged 20% tax right at the door on delivery. A lot of money what goes to our nice country [}:)]

Pieter one more question on this subject. The 20% tax, was it based on the total price (incl shipping) or just the products ....

Willem.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Willem,
You don't have to pay taxes over the shipping part, so only for the product. Tip again: if you are buying second hand on ebay or something ask to lower the price on the shipping papers :-)
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

<br />Hi Willem,
You don't have to pay taxes over the shipping part, so only for the product. Tip again: if you are buying second hand on ebay or something ask to lower the price on the shipping papers :-)

Just making sure, because, although peculiar, you do pay VAT for shipping i have noticed.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I Ordered again 4 new Sony EVI-D31 webcams, get them within a couple of days. Lets see what I have to pay this time. Will come back on this.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

I placed an order with embedded data systems, will let you know my experience with regard to import duty here as well.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Willem4ever »

And here are the results:

19.35 % VAT, no import duty, and an additional E 10 handling costs., bringing the total extra costs for import to E 54.65. The UPS guy, couldn't accept PIN or one-time redraw, i had to pay cash. Luckely this was a rather small amount.

Unfortunately, VAT was also charged on shipping, so I guess they simply look at the total invoice amount.

The total overhead on this order ($234.90) is approx E 107,- (shipping + VAT).

Delivery was very fast and done within 1 week of ordering (Ordered last Friday, and arrival today at 11:30)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Willem,
I think we both mean the same, the import duty is the VAT (BTW called in Dutch). You have to pay VAT to get the goods in to Netherlands if you bought it outside Europe. And it's a lot unfortunately.
Pieter

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”