transmitters compatible with rfxcom

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

transmitters compatible with rfxcom

Post by labium »

who nows what kind of tranmitters are compatible with rfxcom , seen from arduino or fez side ?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: transmitters compatible with rfxcom

Post by Bwired »

non i hink!
all what is compatible you can find on http://www.rfxcom.com the site is very well up to date regarding compatiblity
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I'd answer your question with a question.
Why use Arduino or Fez with rfxcom?
When you have the ability to program one of those things, you don't need rfxcom. You build your own.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Why use Arduino or Fez with rfxcom?
Maybe he have a RFXcom as receiver and he want to make a data collection device with a arduino that transmits the data to RFXcom.
Bram
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Yeah I understand that, but..
You'd have to send packets that are understood by rfxcom, so in a way you are restricted to that - you can't communicate whatever you'd like to.
I mean, if you can to build a sensor, you can also build a (re/trans)ceiver.
And with that, you get all the freedom you can wish for; well, that's what I would do.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

The reason for the question is , i have rfxcom recievers and transmitters which can address a lot of periferal equipment. it works fine. What lacks in the domotica world is standardisation, everybody invents its own prtotocols to communicate, vendors build their own recievers and transmittors, just like the 10 ir modules to control your av and tv systems every has at home.

Look at the new domation led controllers, they have their own transmitters and modules, so i have to spend another usb port to use these . If they had used a rfxcom protocol like many other vendors it would have been a lot nicer and easier to integrate.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

labium wrote:If they had used a rfxcom protocol like many other vendors it would have been a lot nicer and easier to integrate.
I agree that integration is sometimes hard to accomplish. And when it's closed (no API or documentation) you'll have to find some 'nerd' to start reverse engineer it - we've seen enough examples of that on this forum: Plugwise, Visonic etcetera.

But rfxcom is not a protocol, it's a (great) product that can decode a lot of vendor specific protocols, not the other way around.
So prepare yourself to have your sensor behave like an Oregon Scientific sensor, KAKU sensor or like any other vendor specific protocol that rfxcom can decode.
And that's why I posted my earlier remark, just to "broaden your horizon" :wink:
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

well , i found out , rfxcom uses OOK : On Off Keying as protocol to transmit and receive data , it seems the most simple protocol but works fine for domotica. , so all hardware compatable also uses that protocol. There are more protocols for the 433 frequencies.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Never a dull moment with Domotica; you keep on learning new things, now you know it too :)

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”