Aeon Labs Z-Stick trouble

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
freakstar

Aeon Labs Z-Stick trouble

Post by freakstar »

My Aeon Labs Z-Stick (bought q3 2011) is reacting bad lately. I upgraded to HS3 a month ago and almost everything was working fine, only some devices had trouble adding to the network. Trough some issues with my Homeseer PC I reinstalled Windows and started allover buidling op my Homeseer configuration. At first I had better results then in the previous installation, all devices are recognized and working fine. After a day or two the trouble started, now every now and then Homeseer gives strange Z-Wave errors and devices become unreachable.

In my logging I see:

Code: Select all

jul-13 00:02:38 Z-Wave Error Aeon Z-Stick: The Aeon Z-Stick interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning.
Already tried updating the firmware of the stick, did not matter. Mostly helps reinserting the stick for a while, but thats no solid option.

Is it wise to replace the stick or are there some optimizations to make?
uAlex73

Re: Aeon Labs Z-Stick trouble

Post by uAlex73 »

It is a well known issue with the Aeon stick, it will "hang" after a while. Only solution is to unplug/replug the stick. The interval can be 1 hour or 12 months, depends on your network.

There seem to be a relationship with the number of dead/faulty and/or bad communication devices. A guy from the open-zwave team contact Aeon Labs months ago, but they don't seem to want to solve it.

You can try other Z-Wave sticks, like zwave.me, vision, etc ... but I can't garantee they don't have this bug (but they have a different FW).
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
freakstar

Post by freakstar »

Hm, that's too bad. Do you have some links to other threads with more info?

Why only reinserting helps, and rebooting doesn't help?
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Search on the homeseer forum. There are some threads about thuis issue. I changed tot zwavel.me stick and am stable for half a year now

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

If it needs a unplug/plug solution, why not just put a timer between it ?
for example cut open a usb cable , put a relay/switch between the wire that powers up the device.
let it disconnect and connect after 7 hours or so every day, easy fix i guess if it is not to do with software.
And i bet its cheaper then getting another usb stick from a different brand.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

@freakstar:

The problem is discussed in the following thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/o ... vm2qqhYtoJ

Many people had it, and they tried reboot, soft-reset, etc ... nothing helped. Only unplug/replug is the solution.
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
freakstar

Post by freakstar »

Yesterday and sunday it happened after a couple of hours, now it is running stable since yesterday morning. Weird.

Created an event with UltraLog which will inform me when it happens again. Maybe in the future an physical switch like vincenttor mentions.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

If it happens again, and again ... I highly recommend to get e.g. the zwave.me stick and not cutting open the cable. You can damage your USB port or stick if you do like that, also HomeSeer needs to be able to recover from such "weird" disconnect scenario.
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

freakster,

try the latest zwave beta, it seems to solve these issues. I had the same problems, but I m using a zwave.me stick in that same plugin versio n wich resolved the issues for me. Running really stable now in HS3 with 200+ events and 450 devices (55 zwave)

regards

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
freakstar

Post by freakstar »

Cool, installed the beta!
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

which beta?
freakstar

Post by freakstar »

vanisher wrote:which beta?
HomeSeer Z-Wave (BETA) Plug-in BETA 3.0.0.165
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

uAlex73 wrote:If it happens again, and again ... I highly recommend to get e.g. the zwave.me stick and not cutting open the cable. You can damage your USB port or stick if you do like that, also HomeSeer needs to be able to recover from such "weird" disconnect scenario.
Isn't domotica all about automate things, what happened to the home made DIY stuff ???
I do not see why making a simple switch between a normal extension cable could do damage, As the only thing you simulate is pulling the USB plug and replacing it.
If you see in the usb connector the left and right copper layer , these are made longer so if you insert a device it first gets power before entering the port. ( btw i think it were the most left and right dont pin me up on this).
If you are unsure about cutting the cable or what cable color, probably its red and black for + and - but with the chinese stuff you never know.

Why not buy 2 usb connectors male and female and be sure , make one yourself.
Well anyway, again, i see a simple and cheap solution and the reconnection part you can write in the software something so it reconnects or tries every X minute.
Buying a new stick is a solution but not the right one if you ask me, just try , maybe you like it and get the hang of it ;)
Anyway this is how i see the hobby , you should see my controller for the curtains, like some others did , i opened up a remote control and wired it :D
mhn

Post by mhn »

Isn't there something about the newest driver not being the right driver for Aeon stick?

This is the one I use. I don't have disconnects.
Attachments
Klippebord-1.jpg
Klippebord-1.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 16587 times
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m also using the same driver and running HS2 without issues. However when i start OpenHAB15 or HS3 there will be issue after some time. I think it has something to do with the way the Z-Wave network is used. The latest software seems to do other command/checks/polls than HS2
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”