X10 or Xanura with this type of wiring.

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
collectors
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by collectors »

Hi,hope you can help. We will be using the x10 system for a whole house conversion we are doing & will be rewiring & running every electrical item in the house as a radial circuit back to a central point. This will also include the lighting switch lines as well. This is to allow monitoring of power consumption more accurately on individual items & outlets, & to ease any future automation.
We plan to use the x10 din rail mounted LD11 dimmer & AD10 mainly due to price. We also will run a separate dedicated cable for the CM15pro interface in the room that will have the main computer.
Question is:
1.Can you see any problems with mounting all the X10 LD11’s & AD10’s in one din-rail cabinet. (about 50 modules in total with 1 mains filter)
2.If we do this? Will it help with not having to purchase Xanura versions of these modules? As it will really stretch the budget to far on purchasing around 50 modules.
3. Any suggestions on any problems that might come up with all the modules in 1 cabinet, like avoiding curtain things? (We have allowed for spacing between dimmers & extra ventilation) We might be using this same room for the central music & AV system.
4. Apart from the Xanura modules having a stronger signal quality. Is there anything else i would loose out on with not using the Xanura version.

Many thanks.

Chris.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Hi, i think that Xanura has been bought by Marmitek. i remember some posts in this forum some days ago. <i don't see problems on your installation, when there's enough space , electronics live better !
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jeffke »

Hi Chris

That's a big installation you are going to install. I wonder if you have looked at alternatives for X10 as well. Some of us (including me) are not so happy with x10 in general because it does not respond all the time. I do have the marmitek and Xanura din rail and in wall modules together with all sorts of filters, repeaters.. you name it but I'm going to replace it with a bus system (in this case velbus).

One other question you need to ask yourself is if you need two way control (status feedback). If i remember correctly Both the LD11 and AD10 do not support this.

The number of devices would not be a problem just don't put to many dimmers next to eachother

Cheers

Jeff
collectors
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by collectors »

Thanks for getting back guys.
Hi Jeff! I purchased some Marmitek units & a CM15PRO & had a play for a couple of days & wasn't very impressed with having major delays on timers & hand held remote controls activating macros without activating the unit that ignites the macro. To inaccurate for my liking.
Have been looking at the Velbus system myself for a wile & like many of its facility's now they have introduced the timer & thermostat facility's (even though a bit pricey on some of the modules).
It would be nice if Velbus had a test script in the free software to see what its capability's are. Not sure if it will create macros & other similar rules like the easy Marmitek software.
Plugwise might be worth a look?

Cheers,

Chris.
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jeffke »

Hi Chris

In this topic http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3334 you can find more about velbus. I'm currently writing an application which can handle Macro's, Timers etc.. similar as the CM15Pro (I did the same for the Xanura PMIX35). Andrew(Rockhopper1964) has created something already for velbus and you can download it from his site (I think as a trial). The only thing you need is a PC running 24/7. I use a eeeBox which consumes +/- 15 watt. I also run squeezecenter on the same PC.
I do think you can programm macro's and timers if you bought the velbus controller but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't know what the plugwise capabilities are but I don't think they have dinrail modules.
collectors
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by collectors »

Ah! I will keep an eye on your progress in that thread with the Velbus, it will be interesting to see what is discovered & how you get on with it.
Another company that has some interesting items is http://www.idratek.com/, they have come at it from a slightly different angle & would possibly suite you with having programming knowledge. ( The software is a bit pricey)
With my project, i have the advantage of being a electrician, but havent a clue about programming.
I was even looking at possibly wiring the house for IR in every room & using IR relay boards for control. Some of the hand held IR remote's are getting a lot more sophisticated in the facility's for switching with built in macros as well. Many of these boards can be also easily programmed & be able to run independently of a main computer.
All in the planning stage at the moment & will be sure that more ideas will come along.

Good luck with the Velbus project.

Chris.

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”