Strange reboots

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by Snelvuur »

Ok,

So i got this nice new i7, with a ssd card and some storage.. and i run vmware on it with windows 2008 server on it.

However, every now and then, it just reboots.. and i cant see any signs what happened. Windows does not say much more rather then some binary line of the incident which i cant read.

Do you guys have some sort of way to traceback reboots? I mean, now it happens about once a week, but sometimes after 2 days.. i cant get a grip on it.

My first assumption would be the SSD disk, since after a reboot it does not see the disks correctly. I have to turn the box on/off again totally before it sees it again.

Its a pain, i can go back to the store.. but they will just hook it up do a burn in test for 24 hours and give it back.. so i need something to throw some weight in this story.. :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by Alexander »

check you dump files. (check http://www.ditii.com/2008/01/08/windows ... ump-files/)

Alexander
mhn

Strange reboots

Post by mhn »

Some SSD disks have a pause once in a while. That make Windows crash.

I can't remember witch brand, that have the error.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Strange reboots

Post by drmacchi »

try a duty force using an OS (linux) on usb pen to check any further reboot. that will be the comparison. Otherwise, a defective Ram ?
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by TANE »

I hope it's not a SSD problem.
I remember similar problems from my first SSD..
IS there any checkdsk after restart?

made was OCZ?

check this
http://tweakers.mobi/nieuws/59205

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Enver
http://twitter.com/Chak64%20My%20Domoti ... dware.html<i> My Domotica Hardware Software</i></font id="size1">
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by Snelvuur »

i have the turbo series.. so they should not be affected.. so far the machine has been running now since friday..

i can always do some burnin test.. but my first suspect would be the ssd.. i have seen similar issues on my laptop with ssd. But i blaim that on the no-screw for the harddisk.. (so its jammed into the side, not the best way to do it) so if i dont move the laptop the whole week, it will work the whole week :).. my bad.

But the tweakers story is the same, strange reboot, and then it does not see it anymore..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by Snelvuur »

So i thought it would not happen again, yesterday it was d-day again. Checked the event logs of windows 2008 server and the only message it shows is "the previous system shutdown bla bla was unexpected"

So now would be a good time to analyse the memory.dmp if i am correct, so i search the whole system.. no memory dump to be found. I'am now in the stage where i blaim the SSD card. I have one in my laptop and sometimes it just gives a blue screen and then i have to press the power button and reboot to start it up again. If this is the same case with the one in my server.. ouch..

so in short, i dont have any dumps, and when i check the machine its just hanging in the seconds bios screen where it shows all your details and then just sits there (basicly because it cant find the disk anymore) i have to reboot the machine (hard) and then it finds the disks again.

Kinda like the http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... hp?t=63114 post, but in his case he could do a test and make the server crash. I did run several testes, including hd tests but it wont crash. i am just a bit out of idea's..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Strange reboots

Post by Edwin2008 »

did you run a memory test?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by Snelvuur »

I've run a benchmark/burn test with sisoft sandra.. but no crashes ..

bad thing is, my windows 2008 server is installed on the SSD, i can move it to my raid-1 hd setup.. but i dont know if there are any tools out there to just say "move it to these disks" because i would hate it to reinstall it (since besides the reboots its runs good)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Strange reboots

Post by Edwin2008 »

for mem test i mostly use the UBCDWIN cd or the first disk of a linux distro and then from the prompt memtest.
For transferring, you could use acronis or perhaps ghost (not sure if ghost -dos version- will recognize the ssd)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Strange reboots

Post by Snelvuur »

yeah i check acronis, not sure if they can do it, the rescue cd says something about 1 on 1 copy's but not sure.. will test.. moving all data now to other location so i can "screw things up"

then disconnecting the ssd, and see if i can keep the system up for more then a few weeks..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Strange reboots

Post by Edwin2008 »

if acronis recognizes the hardware you will be able to do a disk duplication. Must say that you have to read very carefully, it's very easy to make a mistake. Also make sure that the correct partition is set to active otherwise the system will not boot.

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”