Alternatives for RFXCOM pulse counter

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

SolidReason
Starting Member
Starting Member

Alternatives for RFXCOM pulse counter

Post by SolidReason »

I have a RFXCOM receiver for quite some time and am looking for ways to start tracking my power consumption via RF. I would like to track electricity, gas and water usage all in one go.

Initial research shows that the RFXCOM RF pulse counter is the best fit for this purpose. Unfortunately this product is EOL according to the website.

I'd prefer the RF approach, so before opting for other 1-wire or Arduino based solutions, I would like to verify whether any anyone knows about alternatives for this RF pulse counter ?
Last edited by SolidReason on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
xanhoera

Re: Alternatives for RFXCOM pulse counter

Post by xanhoera »

Woops, didn't know. I still need to implement my water meter :(, so I'll be watching this thread closely.
mhn

Post by mhn »

I have a NorthQ Energy Guard. http://www.northq.com/products/zwave/nq92021.html

Mine is a beta, but it should be on the marked very soon.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

The RFXMeter is end of life but... RFXCOM will release some new products in a few months that will replace the RFXMeter.
SolidReason
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SolidReason »

The energy guard looks indeed like a good candidate. According to the spec's, this device returns data via Z-wave so it should be fairly straightforward to capture the data in an SQL DB.

I could not find any price indication of this device on the NorthQ website, can you give any estimates ?
xanhoera

Post by xanhoera »

mhn wrote:I have a NorthQ Energy Guard. http://www.northq.com/products/zwave/nq92021.html
Looks only applicable to powermetering, am I correct? No gas-power-water-in-one? :)
b_weijenberg wrote:The RFXMeter is end of life but... RFXCOM will release some new products in a few months that will replace the RFXMeter.
Interesting, my guess is that there wont be anything backwards compatible with the (old) rfxmeter (to plug in an empty rfxmeter slot)?
mhn

Post by mhn »

This don't belong in Rfxcom forum, but i hope for forgiveness.

I don't know prices for Energy guard. I think, I have heard around 80€ at some meeting. But you better ask NorthQ.

It's a pulse counter, hence it don't have to be power, it's counting. But the setup is for power. You get a Z-Wave stick and a little program, that place the readings i a sqlite database, make some nice grafs and so on. It can only count one thing per sender. But there should not be a problem with more senders on a net.

I have tried the sender with HomeSeer, that was OK.

I have a post about it here (in danish) http://zwaves.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=880

Regards
Morten
andygodber
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by andygodber »

b_weijenberg wrote:The RFXMeter is end of life but... RFXCOM will release some new products in a few months that will replace the RFXMeter.
Any more info - what/when etc?

Is there still a chance to buy some of the enf of life RFX stuff?
erisan500

Post by erisan500 »

I've build my own pulse counter for electricity, water, gas with a Fez Panda (+/-25€)
andygodber
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by andygodber »

Im 'playing' with Nanodes (arduinos) but the RFX devices will save me the effort.
Harry

Post by Harry »

i am using the rfxpulse counter, for power and gas, and looking for a pulse counter for the water meter (solar boiler) this is situated on the (zolder). the rfxpulse is situated on the ground floor. the pulse counter has a free port. but i can't reach it whith the cable of my watermeter. are there other way's to set up a puls counter.
andygodber
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by andygodber »

Harry wrote:i am using the rfxpulse counter, for power and gas, and looking for a pulse counter for the water meter (solar boiler) this is situated on the (zolder). the rfxpulse is situated on the ground floor. the pulse counter has a free port. but i can't reach it whith the cable of my watermeter. are there other way's to set up a puls counter.
http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/

This uses nanode/arduino, but might mean you have lots of different solutions, or have to migrate to it.

I just finished soldering it all up and looks like its working.
SolidReason
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SolidReason »

Looks like we have to hold our breath a little while longer. According to this post, the successor of RFXMeter is expected to be available early next year.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Bram
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Bram,

The only power metering devices supported by RFXCOM are the RFXMeter and the OWL CM113 and CM119.

And of course the new development which is expected to be available beginning next year will be supported too.

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”