Looking for 16 port router (not a switch!)

Forum: Do you have somethings to sell regarding Home Automation you put it here.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />@Lennart: Right according to the specs you are better of with 2 x 8 port switch, strange?
@Chak: How many ports are active while consuming 2.x watt, I guess only a couple?
@Wifi: Got a little bit of topic :-) But you some more info, let us know what you do
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">5 ports are in use.
It's just a basic old 100 mbit switch
Richard

Post by Richard »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />you can also go for a 2820n , its a bit cheaper, but has dual wan too (and gigabit) afaik. i have that one, works like a charm, then connected to a gigabit switch aswell..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Same setup here @home.
DrayTek Vigor 2820n with an HP Procurve 1800-8G switch attached to it. and here it also works like a charm. [:D]
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

bprosman
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bprosman »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">16 port router (not a switch!)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">In general why would you need a "router" ?. According to the OSI model a router is meant to "route" traffic between "different" networks, e.g. your home-network and your Internet providers' network. If your internal network is just one (IP) network, with all the devices in the same IP range a switch is much more apropriate. If you want to seperate traffic you could go for "vlans" as suggested earlier in this post but within a home network not really necessary. You can extend an existing router by adding a switch to one of the ports. Two routers (especially) when not configured properly can indeed cause traffic if they both try to "intelligent" route traffic, most "home devices" are not designed for this.

Best regards, Bram
AenG
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AenG »

Pieter,

Ik heb net een nieuwe router aangeschaft (draytek 2950g), en merk dat deze nogal veel lawaai maakt. De fan aan de zijkant is zeeeeeer goed hoorbaar. Heb jij hetzelfde probleem?

Geert

http:///www.hetweerinboskamp.nl
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I Installed a 5 volt stabilizer, so its running on 5 volt now.
AenG
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AenG »

Do you use only the 7805 (1.5a) nothing else?
And the cooling?

Something like this, but without the condensor's?

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Exact!
Running for more then a year now.
BTW thinking about replacing the 2950G for the new Vigor 2820 Which has also voip.
Are you using VOIP behind the 2950, I cant get it working right, cant hear anything when connected :-(
AenG
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AenG »

No, i don't use voip.
But it is very fast router. Works very fine.
Btw. do you cool the 7805?

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Right, I tested a lot of routers/modems and specially for webservers the Draytek Vigor is very fast.
I don't believe I cool the 7805, only a very small vent

Return to “For Sale Forum (Dutch allowed)”