Visonic Powermax RF receiver

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Is there any interest for a receiver that is able to receive the RF signals of the Visonic PowerMax sensors?
The received RF data is translated to RS232 X10 security format and in this way the receiver can be connected to all software that can handle a W800 or RFXCOM receiver, for example the ACRF plugin of Homeseer. There is no modification of the software necessary!

Bert
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Bert,
I have a Visonic Powermax alarm system and would like to receive the signals for a long time now! The Powermax is standard able to send some X10 commands together with a XM10 TTL/CMOS interface. But is far from optimal. See also my post here /topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10
I have my own W800RF software running, can you tell some more about the device
Regards Pieter
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Hello Pieter,
The receiver is a 868.95MHz or 433.92MHz receiver. It is based on the RFXCOM receiver. So it will be possible to have for example a Master 433.92MHz or 310MHz X10 receiver AND a Slave 868.92MHz or 433.92MHz Visonic receiver in an USB module. Or only a Master Visonic receiver in the USB interface. The USB interface acts as a normal COM port and the receiver has a W800 compatible mode too.
Here is a trace of a Visonic MCT-302 door sensor. In the first part the receiver is in W800 emulation mode and then in Visonic mode:
Init cmd to receiver => F029
29 ACK
181704FB DS10/90 Alert addr:18/59416
1817847B DS10/90 Normal addr:18/59416

Init cmd to receiver => F040
40 ACK
240018AA14C0 Door sensor addr:018AA Reed contact, Open, Primary contact
240018AA10C4 Door sensor addr:018AA Reed contact, Close, Primary contact

Each open or close message is send 18 times but for readability I removed 17 messages.
Today I did a test for the 868.95MHz receiving distance with this door sensor and the range was about 90 meters using a simple 8 cm wire antenne at the receiver side.

Bert
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hello Bert
Keep us posted!
I'm very interested in such device because I have a Visonic Powermax (868MHZ) with a lot off door sensors (MCT-302), motion sensors (All types), six Visonic smoke detectors (MCT-423), Universal 2-way transmitter (MCT-100), Wireless key-fob transmitters and wireless remote keypad (MCM-140) etc. If I can connect these devices with your controller to my Bwired home automation system It will be a great advantage. As you know the Visonic devices are of very good quality and very long lasting on the Lithium batteries. Does the receiver receive all the Visonic devices like smoke detectors as well?
Please mail me when the device is available!
Regards Pieter
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Supported now are the door sensor, smoke detector and motion sensors and keyfob. I have planned to implement other sensors too soon.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi All
I have been testing the first beta version of the RFXCOM Receiver for the VISONIC Powermax (868MHZ) by http://www.rfxcom.com. With the VISONIC RF Receiver it's possible to receive all the sensors of the Visonic Powermax. This is something which was on my wish list for a long time [:D]. Supported sensors are: <ul><li>MCT-302 Door sensor</li><li>MCT-423 Smoke detectors</li><li>MCM-140 Remote Keypad</li><li>MCT-100 Universal transmitter</li><li>MCT-234 Wireless Key-fob</li><li>MCT-302 Door sensor</li><li>K-940 MCW PIR</li><li>MCT-501 Glass break detector</li><li>MCT-550 Flood Detector</li><li>Next K9-85 MCW Pir</li><li>MKP-150 LCD Panel</li></ul>Image]Image<br /><b>Download Attachment:</b>
Image Visonic_receiver.pdf 97.92 KB<br />
I have a lot of Visonic sensors in the Bwired house which status can be picked up now by as well the Visonic control panel as my own home automation system. So for example the PIR's in my house I can also use for switching on lights etc. The receiver is housed in a small USB box which can hold two receivers. So I added a X10 receiver as well. So with just one Small USB box (see picture) I can receive X10 RF from all X10 wireless devices on 433.92MHZ as well all the Visonic devices on 868MHZ. The power for the receiver comes over the USB cable, so no extra power supply is needed.<br />
I have tested Both devices (Visonic RF / X10 RF) on range an accuracy. I must say the Visonic receiver is receiving the signals from In and even around my house perfectly on a small wire antenna of 10cm. The X10 receiver comes with a little antenna. Also the X10 receiver is capable of receiving every X10 RF device in my house (believe me I have a lot [:)]) This is something of what my current W800RF32 with antenna is not capable of! With the W800RF I frequently miss a status, specially the dark on or -off status from the MS13a which is only send once.<br /> What is also nice for homeseer users is that the Visonic/X10 receiver is working perfectly along with the Homeseer plugin of the W800RF32!
<b>Download Attachment:</b> Image visonichs.jpg 107.03 KB

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
craig
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by craig »

Hello, Im very interested in this. I have a BT VP1000 which is rebadged Visonic PowerMax+. Currently I have it setup:

PIR->Visonic->AM12->X10->CM12->Homeseer->CM12->X10->Light/X10 device

This works, but the delay is around 2-3 seconds form when PIR detects movement to when light comes on.

With this system, what is delay from activity on PIR to X10 device being switched?

Also, is the firmware upgradable via the USB incase of future updates?

Thanks!

Craig (UK)
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Hello Craig,

The delay PIR -> RFXCOM receiver -> Homeseer is in the range of 100 to 200 ms. The delay from Homeseer to the X10 device will be still there.

The RFXCOM receiver can't be updated via the USB. If there is a need for an upgrade the receiver can be exchanged for shipping cost only.

The receiver can be ordered now at www.rfxcom.com and they started with the production of a small number of receivers to check the demand for this receiver.

I have running the RFXCOM receiver for Visonic together with the X10 receiver in one USB interface now for a few weeks and it is working fine. Attached a (bad) picture of my RF devices in Homeseer. The door sensors and motion sensors are Visonic, the SD90's are RFXCOM smoke detectors, a Digimax and an RFXSensor with 2 x temperature, humidity and barometric sensor.

<b>Download Attachment:</b> [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] hs.jpg<br />77.61 KB
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Jeffrey,
All RF security systems can be jammed even Z-Wave. And all RF systems can be monitored!
The strong point of the Visonic system is that they use a secured protocol to switch the PowerMax panel on and off. You can monitor it but with each key press the secured code is updated so replay is not possible.

Visonic sensors can be added to Homeseer using the RFXCOM receiver and the ACRF plugin without using the PowerMax panel. But for a secure system my advice is to add the PowerMax panel. Use Homeseer only for monitoring, sending emails, sms or use the motion sensors to switch lights on and off but do not use it as a security system because the keyfob data can be monitored and replayed to Homeseer to switch the alarm function in Homeseer to Off.

All Visonic sensor codes are translated to equivalent X10 codes and then transmitted to Homeseer.

Bert
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Jeffrey,

If the Oregon Scientific products are also an option for you then I would advise you to buy those products. If (no promise) a 433 receiver will be made available for weather sensors then it is most likely that it will be an Oregon Scientific receiver.
If you start with the 868.95 Master visonic receiver then a 433.92 Slave receiver can be added when it becomes available.

Bert
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Jeffrey,

The RFXCOM receiver is comparable to a normal radio receiver and a person listen to it.

The RFXCOM receiver has build in translation routines for special "languages" like X10 or Koppla or Visonic or Oregon Scientific etcetera.
This works the same as if you are listening to a radio. You can "translate" every word spoken on the BBC radio but if on the same frequency a Russian station starts transmitting you can’t "translate" the words spoken if you only have one language (English) implemented.
One person can sometimes learn more languages. But I can imagine that there are some languages that can’t be learned in one person due to the differences in the language or the persons memory is not strong enough.
The same is through for the RFXCOM receiver. A 433.92MHz RFXCOM receiver can for example translate X10 and Koppla but not X10 and Visonic. The reason for this is the complexity of the "language" and the memory capacity of the RFXCOM receiver.

Bert
cdp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cdp »

Hi

Please can you tell me what you used to connect the VP1000 to the AM10.

Thanks

Chris

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craig</i>
<br />Hello, Im very interested in this. I have a BT VP1000 which is rebadged Visonic PowerMax+. Currently I have it setup:

PIR->Visonic->AM12->X10->CM12->Homeseer->CM12->X10->Light/X10 device

This works, but the delay is around 2-3 seconds form when PIR detects movement to when light comes on.

With this system, what is delay from activity on PIR to X10 device being switched?

Also, is the firmware upgradable via the USB incase of future updates?

Thanks!

Craig (UK)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”